Early 16th century. Simple rectangular towerhouse. 4-storey
with attics, double-height vaulted ground floor with timber
mezzanine. Some time in the 17th century a 2-storey and attic
addition was made to the N wall with a slapping at ground,
the shell of this wing was demolished circa 1974 prior to
much restoration and alteration work being done to the tower.
Rubble walling with squared quoins, mainly simply chamfered
openings to smallish irregularly placed windows. The lintel
mouldings of the windows are unusual being projecting and
splayed, possibly as rainwater protection.
The main entrance is to the E wall, a checked- back depressed
arch doorway with joggled voussoirs. Over the door an
heraldic panel, rather weathered, with 2 shields, the upper
supported by 2 unicorns, the Royal arms of Scotland; the
other much worn but apparently those of the Gordon family,
and dated 65, presumably for 1565. A further opening has
been formed circa 1974, a large depressed arch garage door,
opened from the connecting door of the now demolished N wing.
The intra-mural newel stair runs the full-height of the tower
in the SE angle, rising to a crowstepped cap house. Corbelled machicolated parapet with projecting rainwater spouts.
Saddle-back roof with crowsteps and beak skewputts, tall
coped end stacks.