Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 56929 66708
256929, 666708


Gatepiers and railings to University Avenue, A G Thomson, 1889; Quincentenary Gates, A Graham Henderson, 1952, with ironwork by Thomas Hadden & Co.. Coped boundary wall with cast-iron railings. Circular ashlar piers with banded rustication, conical heads with finials, diminutive niches in each direction at Pearce Lodge. Square-plan sandstone gatepiers to vehicular entrance with lower gatepiers and quadrant walls to flanking pedestrian entrances; decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates to vehicular entrance and single leaf gates to pedestrian entrances.

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: arrow-headed cast-iron railings.

QUINCENTENARY GATES: gatepiers with dated caps ('1451' and '1951') and cast iron lion and unicorn finials; decorative wrought iron gates containing 30 escutcheons. Flanking pedestrian gates of similar design.

Statement of Special Interest

Gatepiers, Railings, Quincentenary Gates is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Lord Kelvin's Sundial, Hunter Memorial, John McIntyre Building, Pearce Lodge, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.

These are finely detailed and crafted boundary enclosures to the outstanding group of historic university buildings at Gilmorehill. The gates are characteristic of the high quality work by the prominent company of Thomas Hadden and Co. The design for the gates is richly detailed with an allegorical composition which reflects their erection as part of the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the university. The railings and gates also enclose an area of the university campus containing a number of other listed buildings, including Lord Kelvin's Sundial (see separate listing) to form a park like setting at the centre of the campus and within the context of surrounding buildings.

The Memorial Gates were presented by the General Council on 18th June 1952 in honour of 28 celebrated alumni from the first 500 years of the University, including Andrew Melville, Adam Smith, Lord Kelvin and James Watt. Two further escutcheons celebrating John Smith and Donald Dewar were added for the 550th anniversary of the University in 2001. The design symbolizes the growth of a tree over 500 years, with each 'fruit' representing the alumni.

Formerly listed as 'University Avenue, University of Glasgow, Gatepiers and Railings Quincentenary Gates'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011.



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, 1894; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/11/1-7; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collections, ref. GCA C1/3/24/p254; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 341; E F Wright, 'Thomas Hadden: Architectural Metalworker' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, (1991) pp. 432-434; 'Quincentenary gates' search at (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS, UNIVERSITY AVENUE, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND QUINCENTENARY GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 03:34