Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

111 QUEEN STREET AND 46-58 (EVEN NOS) ROYAL EXCHANGE SQUARE, GALLERY OF MODERN ART (FORMER STIRLING'S LIBRARY, FORMER CUNNINGHAME MANSION AND FORMER ROYAL EXCHANGE)LB32818

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59125 65288
Coordinates
259125, 665288

Description

E end (former Cunningham Mansion), 1778, altered and

enlarged for Royal Exchange, David Hamilton, 1827-30,

with 2nd E attic by Hamilton, 1880. Sculpture by James

Fillans. Cream and yellow ashlar. 3-storey (2nd as full

attic above cornice), attic to E end, and basement.

E ELEVATION: imposing 7-bay Corinthian, pedimented

portico, octostyle, with giant order on low plinth; full

entablature and pediment and within portico coffered

ceiling. 5 tripartite doorways flanked by windows,

divided by panelled pilasters, cornice above as cill

course for 5 architraved and corniced 1st floor windows.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Wide advanced bay at centre with

segmental tripartite window, with Corinthian column

mullions and flanking pilasters, entablature as lintel

and shallow fanlight and Soanic incised detail replacing

architrave. Recessed outer bays with round-arched

windows at ground and small windows above, flanked by

giant Corinthian pilasters. Blocking course above

modillioned cornice raised at centre with diminutive

pedimented crowning details.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: 9 bays to W (Hamilton, circa 1830)

and 5 bays to E (Cunningham Mansion) linked by

modillioned cornice. Corinthian hexastyle screen to W

and, with entablature and parapet, with large anthemion

finials to dies. 5 advanced bays to E with giant

Corinthian pilastrade; doorway at centre of N elevation;

pilaster jambs to corniced windows at ground and

consoled pediments to those at 1st floor; small windows

with shouldered architraves in parapet, with panelled

dies bearing scrolls; slate mansard (1880) with 3

segmental leaded dormer windows each side. Set behind

portico at E end, tall Corinthian peristyle lantern on

channelled masonry base with projecting clock faces, and

with open crown and shallow ogee dome.

Small-pane, margin glazing pattern to ground floor sash

and case windows of E bays, with plate-glass glazing to

round-arched windows, and to sash and case at 1st floor.

INTERIOR: inlaid marble vestibule with coffered ceiling;

scagliola pedimented doorpiece; oval well with

decorative ironwork balustrade; decorative leaded oval

skylight above further inlaid marble floor. Decorative

plasterwork to aisled hall, with massive Corinthian

columns and entablature; flat ceilings above aisles.

Decorative cast-iron, partly gilded, railings and

pedestals front basement area.

Statement of Special Interest

Cunningham of Lainshaw commissioned the original mansion. Stirling's Library was formerly housed in Miller Street. Gomme and Walker point out the influence of Soane on the design, especially his Bank of England. Surrounding terraces of square, the Bank at W end (92-100 Buchanan Street), and the Wellington statue are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1987. J Swan SELECT VIEWS OF GLASGOW 1829.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 111 QUEEN STREET AND 46-58 (EVEN NOS) ROYAL EXCHANGE SQUARE, GALLERY OF MODERN ART (FORMER STIRLING'S LIBRARY, FORMER CUNNINGHAME MANSION AND FORMER ROYAL EXCHANGE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 05:04