Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 59333 65224
259333, 665224


John Burnet, 1865-66, 3-storey and basement, Italianate banking premises in Glassford Street, with J J Burnet (Son) addition of single storey banking hall in Ingram Street, 1894-6 and further storey to earlier property, 1898-99. Sculpture by George Frampton. Cream ashlar

sandstone, channelled at ground.

1865-66 BUILDING:

GLASSFORD STREET: symmetrical, 7-bay. Channelled pilastered doorpiece with broken segmental pediment and cartouche flanked by lion and unicorn; tall windows flanking at ground. Mutuled cornice over ground floor. All windows architrave. Tripartite window, (broken by door pediment) at 1st floor, with consoled cornice; corniced windows flanking smaller windows to 2nd floor with carved panels flanking centre window. Frieze above with cornice and balustrade to Doric columned loggia of 3rd floor, added by J J Burnet (Son), with 8 round-arched windows main modillion cornice. Similar details over 8 bays behind banking hall on Ingram Street elevation.

INGRAM STREET BANKING HALL: recessed bay at centre with wide composite columned entrance, cartouche in shallow segmental pediment above door, enclosed by open and broken pediment on crouching Atlantes, enclosing aediculed niche with figure of St Mungo by George Frampton; carved

panels and urn finials to parapet die flanking entrance bay. Broken and open segmental pediments to windows in outer bays, sheltering initialled cartouches, and with cavetto reveals. Dentil row below mutuled cornice; rounded corners, slightly recessed and with taller parapets each adorned with carved panel. Return elevations each with tripartite window at centre set in Ionic and Doric flanked, slightly recessed bays, and each with broken, open segmental pediment, and cartouched segmental over centre light, but without aediculed niche. Dome above hall, leaded and glazed, crowned by diminutive, domed stone tempietto with obelisk finial. Variety of glazing patterns; modern windows at ground, plate-glass sash and case at 1st and 2nd floors and casements below semi-circular fanlights of 3rd floor. Partly gilded 2-leaf decorative wrought-iron gates.

INTERIOR OF BANKING HALL: fine Edwardian Baroque interior, currently serving as the main entrance to bank, since modification of 1975. Ornate plasterwork, fine woodwork including benches and masques to consoled counter; 2 sets of gilded 2-leaf gates to earlier building. Fine stained glass windows, including oculi of dome. Marble columns.

Statement of Special Interest

J J Burnet (Son) modified his original design to an arcaded 3rd floor after the RSA exhibition of 1896. David Walker has indicated the dome's diminutive reference to that of St Peter's. The sculptures by Frampton were carved by William Sheriffs of Glasgow.



Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.209f, figs. 188f. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY p.67. RSA Exhibit 1896. Information courtesy of Building of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 177 INGRAM STREET WITH 99 GLASSFORD STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/08/2020 22:14