William Boston (Burnet and Boston), dated 1901. W side of
2 quadrants of City Improvement Trust tenements, curving
up High Street, with Scottish Renaissance detailing.
4-storey, 1 tenement with attic. Red sandstone ashlar.
2-bay to George Street, 35 to High Street, in 7 stepped
groups of irregularly composed 5-bay tenements, each with
closes at centre, alternating between segmental and pedimented entrances. Shops flanking each close of 3 bays, with inwardly
canted doorways and decoratively pedimented timber doors,
fanlights and metal-framed plate glass shop windows;
pilasters dividing each of 7 tenements, frieze above shops
and consoled cornices above ground; 3rd floor cill course.
Variety of architraved and pedimented 2nd floor windows
and carved panels; canted outer bays to each tenement,
2 full-height above ground with piend roofs, 2 corbelled
to square gablehead at 3rd floor, with gablehead behind
flanked by corbelled canted 3rd floor oriel. Bowed bay to
corner with George Street, jettied on billeted course at
eaves into bowed dormerhead with fluted pilasters. Some stone
mullioned bipartite windows; plate glass sash and case
windows. Slate roofs, attic in mansard to S tenement:
finialled gableheads and piend roofs; wallhead stacks.
Glazed dado tiling retained in several closes. Dated panel
and panel of City crest. Glasgow Style wrought-iron parapets
to canted bays.
ventilator at apex. Windows largely boarded-up.