Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLYDE STREET, ALBERT BRIDGELB32667

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
22/03/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
07/05/2004
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59412 64444
Coordinates
259412, 664444

Description

Bell and Miller, architects and engineers, Hanna, Donald and Wilson contractors; 1868-1871. Built to replace an earlier bridge of 1829-33. 3-span bridge over the Clyde at Saltmarket. Polished ashlar springers and hexagonal cutwaters rising to polished red granite piers and corbelled grey granite caps. 8 wrought-iron ribs per span, beaded arch ring and decorative cast-iron pierced spandrels with City coats of arms.

The engineer, 27 September 1867.

Engineering, 1 July 1870.

Square end piers with bronze profile medallion of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria. Bracketted parapet with pierced balustrade in cast-iron with coat of arms of Glasgow at centre. Intermediate granite piers with plaques recording the architects as Bell and Miller, MICE.

Statement of Special Interest

A group with Victoria, Union Railway, Portland Place suspension King George V and Jamaica Bridges. This is the only substantial wrought-iron arched bridge in Scotland, comparable to Westminster (London) Trent (Nottingham) and Lendal (York) Bridges in England.

Was originally a rich green, 'studded with polished knobs and set off with lines of gilt'. This colour is to be reinstated in the refurbishment approved in 2004, which will replace the balustrade. Adjacent railings flanking the Clyde are by Sun Foundry, as are also those at Westminster Bridge.

Category changed from B to A, 07 May 2004.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.305. J R Hume 1974, p.219. Centre Span of 114 Feet, side spans of 108 feet.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLYDE STREET, ALBERT BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:41