James Thomson, architect; circa 1870. Astylar terrace of 12 4-bay houses. 44 bays arranged 20-4-20; 2 storeys, attics and basement. Polished ashlar, stonecleaned with painted dressings and architraves.
Steps oversailing basement to architraved consoled and corniced doorways, double-leaf doors. Vestibule doors tripartite with glazed side and fanlights. Full height canted windows to left with dwarf cast-iron parapet. All upper windows architraved, lugged at 1st plate glass sash windows.
Moulded band course to ground and 1st floor cills. Band and string courses at eaves; plain main cornice. Round headed dormers set in polished architraves with keystone and ball finial. Cast-iron balustrade linking dormers. Corniced axial stacks, octagonal cans; slate roofs. Elegant cast-iron railings to steps and basement.
3-bay flank with simpler details. Paired corniced wall head stacks flank dormers.
Stugged ashlar rear elevation; 2-storey canted windows with cast-iron parapet. Gabled and finialled dormers.
Low ashlar wall supporting spearhead cast-iron railings to rear gardens and lane. To front, pairs to tall corniced ashlar gatepiers to carriageway supporting cast-iron lamp brackets.
INTERIOR: fitted out circa 1880. Unusual contemporary double glazing system incorporating leaded lights. Elaborate stained glass in front door, some possibly of early date or in imitation (Henri Goltzias artefeci). Elaborately panelled and inlaid entrance hall with arcaded screen providing baffle to hall at right, latter panelled with Baroque overmantle.
Dining Room: Italianate panelled decoration, timber panelled ceiling, elaborate parquet margins, marble chimneypiece.
Drawing Room: L-plan with arched screen, elaborate deep plasterwork frieze and geometrically detailed ceiling, complex parquet floor. Other interiors including the billiard room contain details of interest.