James Sellars, architect; 1877-9. Grecian school with Thomsonesque details. 2 storeys, attics and basement with taller end pavilions and 3-storey raised temple-fronted centrepiece. Polished ashlar, stugged at basecourse; stonecleaned. 23 bays arranged 3-7-3-7-3. Steps to centrally placed corniced, architraved doorpiece with carved frieze, 2 windows flank door. 1st floor 2-storey Ionic tetrastyle portico with pediment and acroterion; banded 1st floor masonry, 3 pilastered windows at 2nd. Flanking ranges with plain ground floor windows. 1st floor windows recessed and pilastered to give pilastrade effect. Various
glazing patterns. Moulded cill strings at ground and 1st floors. Cornice over ground and 1st floors; deep plain parapet stepped up at angles of end pavilions. Slate roofs; tall axial corniced stacks in pairs linked by pierced or solid balustrading. Flanks detailed as main facade; 5-bay to W; 8-bay to E. Latter with projecting gabled and barge
boarded porch; architraved corniced doorpiece facing S. Stugged coursed ashlar rear elevation with many modern additions.
Interior: wood panelled dado; some dentil moulded cornices to hall. Vestibule with pillar screen. At W staircase; 2 bronze war memorial plaques, with Greek key decoration. Some line-etched flaxmanesque internal windows. To W, single storey and basement pedimented building,
original gymnasium with porch to left, apse at N; rear elevations stugged ashlar. Good cast-iron lamp brackets flank main doorpiece. Low ashlar boundary wall supporting decorative cast-iron railings. 2
pedimented ashlar gateways with elaborate cast-iron gates.