Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1544 GREAT WESTERN ROAD, FORMERLY COUNTY BINGO HALL AND ASCOT CINEMALB32337

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/07/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 54925 68660
Coordinates
254925, 668660

Description

C J McNair, architect, 1939, Super cinema converted to flats with façade retention 2001. Symmetrical stepped elevation to Great Western Road. Curved three-quarter height stair towers to outer bays. Recessed 5-bay central block with entrance to ground and windows to 1st. Rendered walling, all white painted with some exposed band courses. Cream faience tiling to stair towers with bands of contrasting colour near top.

Statement of Special Interest

The 1,963 seat Ascot opened in December 1939, after delays in construction caused by the declaration of War, and subsequent alterations to strengthen the roof to provide better shelter in the event of bombing. It was renamed 'Gaumont' in 1950 and became 'Odeon' in 1964, before closing as a cinema and converting to a bingo hall in 1975. After final closure in 1998 the building remained empty until 2001 when new flats were erected on the site, with only the principle façade retained.

References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of The Scottish Film Council. Kine Weekly Jan 4 1940. Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1544 GREAT WESTERN ROAD, FORMERLY COUNTY BINGO HALL AND ASCOT CINEMA

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 19:23