Charles Wilson, architect, 1841-3. Large Tudor style hospital
in 2 detached E-plan ranges set at right angles; 2 or 3
storeys; attics and basements. More elaborate W range for
wealthy patients, E range for the less fortunate, and
correspondingly plainer. Both of stugged ashlar with
polished margins and dressings; stonecleaned.
W RANGE: symmetrical N facade of 35 bays arranged with 11-bay
2-storey blocks with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions. 7-bay
3-storey central paviion (containing Superintendent's flat)
rising to 4-storey tower over entrance. 4-centred arched
portals at pavilions with square-headed hoodmoulds and mask
label-stops (portrait heads of Victoria and Albert to centre).
Recessed architraved tripartite doorpiece to central pavilion
with glazed lights. All windows in roll-moulded reveals and
hood moulds. Single or bipartite with transoms and mullions;
tripartite at pavilions flanked by buttresses rising to tall
Continuous roll-moulding at cills, deep plain parapet at eaves,
tall linked axial Tudor stacks. Flanks detailed as above.
REAR ELEVATION: coursed stugged ashlar; single light windows
with some full-height canted oriels. Linking flanks, tall
coursed rubble walls to gardens.
INTERIOR: central pavilion includes superintendent's private
apartments; private garden to rear. Wings (separate male and
female accommodation) with small private chambers opening off
wide galleries, some with original 3-arch timber screens.
E RANGE: 21 bays arranged with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions
and 5-bay 3-storey central pavilions. Details as above except hood-moulds only to ground floor and label stops of doorpiece
simple blocks. S flank with 2 small ogee-domed pavilions
linking tall coursed rubble garden wall to S, (airing ground).
INTERIOR: with large dormitories, few smaller rooms off.
Large dining hall, now modernised.