H E Clifford, architect; built circa 1900-10. Asymmetrical Elizabethan-style villa built on steeply sloping site. Mainly
2 storeys and basement with 3-storey tower to W. Stugged
ashlar with polished margins and quoins. Windows mainly bi- or tripartite with transoms and/or mullions; roll-moulded reveals
to those of S facade; hollow chamfered to N and E.
N facade with 2 storey, 3-bay block with porte-cochere to left;
Ionic pilasters at angles, corniced and with elaborate pierced
ashlar balustrade. Depressed arch doorpiece with bold keystone
and art nouveau panelled door. To right 2 full-height canted
bay windows with embattled parapet. Ground floor lights
round-headed with cusp tracery. At right projecting 3-storey
square tower with round-headed door with square hoodmould.
Shallow canted tripartite oriel window supported on corbel
course to 2nd floor. Otherwise asymmetrically placed bipartites
or narrow transomed lights with small-pane glazing. Stair
turret feature to re-entrant angle, corbelled embattled parapet.
Linking porte-cochere and tower, balustrade with die pedestals supporting ball finials.
Single storey wings to E and W with deep basements; that to E
with deep parapet and pinnacles.
S elevation with full-height bay windows with gables flanking balustraded balcony to 4-light ground floor window. Slate
roofs, tall axial and wallhead stacks plain skews and
INTERIOR: elaborate interior with good carved timber or
marble chimneypieces, some details Jacobean, other in the
Glasgow style. Carved timber balusters and newel posts; stair
window with good leaded and stained glass. Good panelling,
fitted cupboards, doorcases and light fittings.
Low coped ashlar wall to garden with 2 pairs of tall banded