Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK GARDENS AND PARK GARDENS LANELB32240

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57458 66195
Coordinates
257458, 666195

Description

Charles Wilson, architect; circa 1855. Astylar

Italianate terrace of 6 houses, each with 2-bay

elevation with full-height bay windows, linked by cast-

iron balconies. 3-storeys, attic and basement; polished

ashlar, channelled at ground, mostly painted or stone-

cleaned. Wide flights of steps, with pierced and

scrolled stone parapets oversailing basement, to

tripartite doorpieces. All ground floor openings

tripartite with pilastered reveals and mullions. Ground

floor bay windows square; canted at upper floors. All

other windows architraved; consoled and corniced at 1st

floor. Sash windows; plate-glass or 4-pane glazing. Band

courses over ground and 2nd floors. Eaves cornice; plain

parapet with sculpted shell decoration over bay

windows; otherwise roof balustrade. Axial stacks, slate

roofs. Cast-iron railings to basement area.

7-bay flank to East, 5-bay flank to West; both with

centre 3 bays shallow advanced with roof balustrade

over: otherwise deep plain parapet (that to East with

incised decoration). Rear elevation with full-height

projecting square bays.

Interiors: elaborate cornice plasterwork; Corinthian

screens to ground floor. Good cast-iron balusters

with carved wood newel posts. No 1, circa 1900 upper

door panels of wrought-iron; curved inner door and

fanlight.

Park Gardens Lane; mews range combines as retaining

wall, droved ashlar. Vehicle openings at ground, loft

windows at 1st floor and dwarf gallery above. Corniced

stacks treated as piers; some slit ventilators. Nos 1

and 2 (rear No 2 Park Gardens) John J Burnet, architect;

1906. Stables with servant accommodation over. Ground

floor, modern window alterations. Polished ashlar; huge

lugged architrave frames ground and 1st floors. Deeply

recessed opening at ground, balcony above, roll moulded

surround. Cast-iron bombe section balustrade to balcony

with grotesque-headed handrail.

Balustraded roof parapet linking wallhead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.

Upgraded B to A 20.5.86

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1968; p.293. Plan of 1 Park Gardens

Lane stables and servants' quarters, dated 1906, John

Burnet and Son. SR Archives D of G 2/1669.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK GARDENS AND PARK GARDENS LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:34