Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TOLBOOTH STREET, FALCONER MUSEUMLB31747

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - 132-134
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Forres
NGR
NJ 3763 58913
Coordinates
303763, 858913

Description

A and W Reid, 1868-70. Italian Renaissance. 2 storeys, 3-bay

entrance to N, 6-bay elevation to Tolbooth Street. Finely

stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, rubble flanks

to S and E. Vitruvian scroll between ground and 1st floors,

rosettes in frieze, cornice, die parapet with terminal

finials to both facades.

N FACADE: shallow advanced centre bay with paved Roman Doric

columned portico; pilastered and shafted round-arched

tripartite above, with broad outer pilaster strips supporting

frieze inscribed "Falconer Museum" and pediment enclosing

portrait bust and crowning anthemion. Outer bays with round-

arched pilastered windows in each floor, shell decoration and portrait-mask keystone at ground, 1st floor windows recessed

in panels.

W ELEVATION: similar details, 2 centre bays advanced with

panelled parapet; all 1st floor windows bipartite. Piended

slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

The Museum was founded by bequests by Alexander Falconer in

1856, and by his brother, Dr Hugh Falconer. W facade

commemorate's (left to right) Hugh Miller, Sir Walter Scott,

Sir Davie Brewster, Edmund Forbes, Dr John Malcolmson and

James Watt.

Former Item 133 (1983 Revised List)

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER, Sept 18, 1868. Advertisement for

tenders. Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, iii, (1883)

p.48 J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.257.

Plans with Elgin Library, Forres, DAW P2141.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TOLBOOTH STREET, FALCONER MUSEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/09/2019 17:28