Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUNECHT HOUSELB3133

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Echt
NGR
NJ 75083 7846
Coordinates
375083, 807846

Description

Mansion round courtyard with outer court to N., and S.

terraced garden. Originally John Smith 1820 Neo-Greek

2-storey basement and attic square block with Greek-doric

porch and bow, both features now removed. Incorporated at

S.E. corner of large 2-storey and basement Italianate

mansion, William Smith 1859 (south side of present court),

2-storey coursed granite with bay windows and top parapet,

balustraded at bays, handsome 4-storey tower. Porte-cochere

at E. end removed, alterations and additions to E end

of Smith house, library, new courtyard entrance tower

containing staircase, and chapel added to form court George

Edmund Street 1877, French-Italian Romanesque. New dining

room, conservatory, and other additions, new windows to

court in Smith building G. Bennet Mitchell 1900.

Conservatory removed, extensive additions comprising

boilerhouse wing, gates and lodges N.W. and N.E. terraces

loggia gazebo etc. interior alterations and additions Sir

Aston Webb 1913-20. Bennet Mitchell's dining room removed,

internal alterations and Webb's diagonal screen wall to

court removed, Dunecht estate office 1950s.

Interior:- Smith staircase large square toplit and round-arched,

cove and panels painted in Raphaelesque manner by Italian

artists c. 1860 with additions 1900; Long gallery (W.

Smith) 100' x 16' compartmented ceiling, centre

Chimneypiece at W. end marble, G.E. Street; Entrance tower

and staircase (Street) 20' dia. open centre well with 47

colonnettes, vaulted at top. Library and drawing room have

English Jacobean woodwork (with marquetry panels) and

plasterwork installed c. 1920, Billiard Room English 15th

century screen with gallery, chimneypiece and panelling.

Library (G.E. Street, now ballroom) 120' x 27' x 40, arched

ceiling, iron galleries, reading room off, rich scheme of

decoration, Lunette by James Pryde. Chapel (Street)

100' x 34' x 50' with vaulted apse, waggon roof and N.E.

chapel. Stalls (Street 1877) inlaid walnut from Florence,

additional woodwork Dr. Kelly, 16th century panelling in N.E.

chapel.

Statement of Special Interest

The 1859 and 1877-81 additions and alterations were

carried out for the 25th Earl of Crawford and Balcarres

(1812-80) and continued by his son the 26th earl.

Work was suspended in 1881 after the theft of the body of

the 25th earl and the estate advertised for sale in 1886,

but was not sold;. at that date the library was still not

occupied, the long gallery chimneypiece not assembled and

the chapel floor incomplete. In 1900 it was sold to A.C.

Pirie of Craibstone who employed G. Bennet Mitchell (then

of the architectural department of Davidson and Garden

Advocates) to design addition to the house and an

extensive scheme of estate, improvement comprising new

cottages at Echt and Dunecht (then Waterton). In 1907 it

was let to Lord Cowdray who purchased the estate outright

in 1912 commissioning Sir Aston Webb to make extensive

additions in 1913-20. Further alterations were made

internally by Dr. Kelly c. 1924-32.

References

Bibliography

Smith plans for 1820 house (undated) at estate office;

accounts National Monuments Record Lithograph of 1859

state, no plans.

No plans for Street additions, but refs in A.P.S.D. and

Sale catalogue 1886 and 1912 Plans for Webb, Kelly, and

Estate office alterations at Estate office.

N.S.A. v. XII p. 738 3 S.A. p. 191 Aberdeen Press and Journal

July 2nd 1900.

Derek Hudson, James Pryde.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNECHT HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/12/2019 16:03