There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See Notes
- Date Added: 21/03/1960
- Local Authority: Falkirk
- Planning Authority: Falkirk
- Burgh: Falkirk
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 89864 79352
- Coordinates: 289864, 679352
Brown and Wardrop (completed as Wardrop and Reid) 1869-77. Present external form being Francois Ier remodelling of earlier house of several dates with total Frontage of 300', viz:- NW angle of main block small tower house probably late 14th century; extended to L-plan by wing running eastwards 54' linked at S gable, extended a further 88' mid 17th century and then by a further 40' to produce an approx symmetrical 3-storey house of 182' frontage with single pile centre and double pile ends, centre of north front being recessed with octagonal stair turrets; low 2-storey L-plan wings added at ends late in 17th century to bring total frontage to 300'; Internal alterations proposed (?if executed) James Craig 1785 Internal alterations David Hamilton 1827, scheme for further additions 1830, not executed. Remodelled 1869-77, original harled surfaces and openings retained but much embellished with French architectural features carried out in coursers or ashlar, principally twin bay windows corbelled to square at 2nd floor with high French roofs, double staircase and 1st floor balcony south front, large triple stairhall block with high pavilion roof and angle turrets, single-storey entrance hall and porch with balconied platform roof north front tourelles added angles of main block, high French roofs added over end sections of main block and wings chimneys rebuilt with diamond panels.
INTERIOR: various dates, old staircase much renewed early in present century after fire damage, fine baroque painted ceiling, neo Greek pilastered and barrel vaulted library, small drawing room David Hamilton 1827, remainder modified or remodelled by Wardrop.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group comprises 'Callendar House' (HB 31236), and the associated 'Glenbrae Lodge and Gates' (HB 31235), 'Callendar House, Small Bridge on South Axis of House' (HB 31237), 'Callendar House Sundial' (HB 31238), 'Stable Court, Including Cobbled Yard' (HB 31239), 'Stable Block Including Dovecot, Cobbled Yard, Implement Shed, Boundary Walls and Gates' (HB 46544), 'Factor's House' (HB 46545), 'Dry Bridge' (HB 31240), 'Mausoleum' (HB 31241), 'Atrium House (Former Gardener's Cottage), Including Gatepiers' (HB 50224), 'Kennels' (HB 50894), 'Policy Walls' (HB 50896) and 'Wellhead' (HB 50897), see separate entries.
Empty and in poor condition (1972). The fountain on the south axis has been removed; a College of Education occupies the site of the walled garden but the walls partly remain with ball-capped gatepiers at the gateway towards the house (1972).
Callendar House and its associated buildings are the grandest and most prominent group of buildings in Falkirk. The Lands of Callendar were granted to the Livingston family in the mid-14th century, and they retained possession of the estate for nearly 400 years. The estate was forfeited to the Government after the Jacobite rising in 1715, who in turn sold on the estate. Callendar came to be bought by William Forbes in the late 18th century, a copper merchant from London, who continued to develop the mansion and the estate. It was the Forbes family who brought the celebrated architect David Hamilton to work on Callendar, and they were also instrumental benefactors to the development of Falkirk as a modern 19th century town. The estate remained in the possession of the Forbes family until 1963, when it was sold to the now defunct Falkirk Burgh Council. The Burgh Council were responsible for planning the high-rise housing within Callendar Park, and also the development of the walled garden as a College of Education (now the Callendar Business Park). However they did no work on the House, which remained derelict and boarded-up until 1997, when it was restored by the present Council.
NSA v. VIII p.12 Inv 311 Callendar House: its Place in Scottish History (reprinted from Falkirk Herald, 1878-9)
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.