Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9 WEST ROAD, INGLESIDE (FORMERLY THE COTTAGE)LB30914

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Elgin
NGR
NJ 20815 62665
Coordinates
320815, 862665

Description

Style of James Gillespie Graham, 1816. Single storey

house on raised basement, 4-bay, asymmetrical. Coursed

rubble to basement and flanks; regularly tooled ashlar to

remainder, polished ashlar dressings. Slightly advanced

entrance porch approached by bridge oversailing raised

basement. Rectangular hoodmoulds to door and all front

ground floor windows; Gothic arch moulds to canted bay

window rising full height on E gable.

Bowed bay window also rising full height on N elevation

with bowed piended roof and long windows. Gothic

glazing pattern; shallow piended roof; deep stone

eaves.

INTERIOR: Gothic rib vaulting to entrance hall; original

front door with Gothic glazing pattern; original Gothic

panelled doors.

Rubble garden walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Steeply sloping site. Appears on Wood's Town Map of 1822 as

belonging to Miss Ross. Deeds said to date from 1813.

Osscastle House, Biggar also by Gillespie Graham is almost

identical to Ingleside.

Former Item 217 (1981 Revised List).

References

Bibliography

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.138.

Robert Young, ANNALS OF THE PARISH AND BURGH OF ELGIN

(1879), pp.251, 400.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9 WEST ROAD, INGLESIDE (FORMERLY THE COTTAGE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:07