Archibald Simpson, 1830-33. Greek Revival. Large
2-storey H-plan main range with school to S. Polished
ashlar to front (N) facade, finely tooled ashlar to flanks,
polished ashlar dressings. 14-bay main elevation, the
outer 3 bays being advanced and pedimented. Centre
Ionic portico, distyle in antis with frieze, cornice, and
block pediment supporting sculptured figures. Set back
behind pediment circular domed cupola on square plinth,
with 8 Corinthian pilasters between louvred openings.
West elevation: 7 bays, and 2nd and 6th bays being
advanced with hexastyle Roman Doric portico between.
Lying-pane glazing. Corniced stacks; shallow piended
INTERIOR: domed and pilastered entrance hall with coffered
ceiling; plain staircase.
Pair single monolith panelled gatepiers; square copes
with egg and dart frieze. Cast-iron railings.
Coursed rubble garden walls with dressed copes.
Statement of Special Interest
Founded by Lieutenant General Anderson (1746-1824)
as school for young and home for old. Sculpture over
portico depicts Gen Anderson giving food to old and learning
Inscription above portico reads "Elgin Institution for
Support of Old Age and Education of Youth".
For School, now East End School, see Institution Road.
Former Item 22 (1981 Revised List).