Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25786 71331
325786, 671331


David MacGibbon and Ross, circa 1878. 2-storey, irregular-plan Baronial villa, converted for use as hospital by addition of Art Deco W wing (J Douglas Miller, 1934); now in use as residential nursing home. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; dividing string course; eaves cornice; long and short quoins; chamfered reveals.

S ENTRANCE elevation: 3-bay, with service wings recessed to E and W. Corniced doorpiece in central bay; architraved and shouldered doorway; 2-leaf panelled door; plate glass fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. Advanced gabled bay to outer right; advanced tripartite window at ground; advanced bipartite window with canopy at 1st floor; bipartite window in gablehead; stone finial. Canted window in bay to outer left, corbelled out at 1st floor and corbelled to square at gablehead; trefoil-headed window set in gablehead; stone finial.

E ELEVATION: single window at 1st floor flanking 3-storey circular-section tower; fishscale slates to conical roof; iron weathervane finial. SERVICE WINGS AND CHAPEL: single storey pitched roof service wing to W; single storey and attic link from main house to single storey, pitched roof, T-plan service wing to E; laundry converted to chapel (A Murray Hardie,1919, enlarged by W J Devlin,1928). Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; shouldered and corniced wallhead stacks; polygonal stack adjoining tower; some original rainwater goods, including moulded eaves guttering and hoppers. 1934 wing: 2-storey, butterfly-plan with central round-arched entrance block and flat roof. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 capped ashlar gatepiers with chamfered angles at corner of Blackford Avenue and South Oswald Road; high coped boundary walls to streets; pedestrian gateways through slapping to Blackford Avenue and Oswald Road.

Statement of Special Interest

St Raphael's, originally known as Kilravock Lodge, was built for Hugh Rose on one of three sites in the Grange area owned by David MacGibbon. Ashfield, MacGibbon's own house on Grange Loan, has been demolished, but St Oswald Lodge on Oswald Road still remains (see separate listing). There are a number of more recent buildings within the curtilage of St Raphaels, including the flat-roofed addition to the N of the chapel and residential accommodation further N, which are not included in the listing.



RSA Exhibition Catalogue 1878, No 964; D Walker "The Architecture of MacGibbon and Ross: The Background to the books in Studies in Scottish Antiquity ed. D Breeze (1984), p410.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 & 4 SOUTH OSWALD RD (FORMERLY 6 BLACKFORD AVE ST RAPHAELS)INCLUDING CHAPEL,GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/03/2023 13:53