There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 25506 71115
- Coordinates: 325506, 671115
John Kinross of Kinross and Tarbolton, 1898. 2-storey, basement and attic, Scottish 17th century villa, sited on corner site on steeply falling ground, with 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads and with single storey steeply pitched service block to NW. Rake-jointed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. Roll-moulded surrounds to windows, stop-chamfered at cills, generously porportioned at ground and to S elevation. Principal gables crowstepped with beak skewputts. E OSWALD elevation: recessed gabled bay to outer left, 2 bays to centre and to right. Window at ground at centre with pediment and finial. Doorway on half-gabled return to left deorative panel (vase of flowers) carved above; 2-leaf boarded doors; single window at 1st floor above with wreath carving above. Fine cast-iron lamp bracket to left of door. Full-height canted window to outer right bay corbelled to square at 1st floor with 1 window in gablhead.
N MORTONHALL ROAD elevation: 3-bay. Lop-sided gable to left with 1st floor window crowned by trapezoid pediment bearing monogram "JB". 2 lower bays to right with windows at ground and ashlar gabled dormers breaking eaves above. Low single storey bay of service block to outer right with ashlar mullioned bipartite window under eaves.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay with recessed door bay to outer right (see above) and recessed service block to outer left. Full-height canted window in bay to left, corbelled to square at 1st floor with pilaster-flanked window in gablehead with wreath carved above. Window to each floor in flanking bay to right.
W ELEVATION: M-gabled with left gable slightly advanced and overlapping that to right and with lop-sided gable of service block advanced at ground, bipartite window and ground floor window on chamfered angle to centre at 1st floor. Basement door to outer angle and 1st floor pedimented window to right of centre. Small-pane and multi-pane glazing patterns in generous sash and case windows. Westmoreland slates; ashlar ridge tiles. Moulded coping to gablehead and wallhead stacks. Discreet gabled timber dormers with barge boards to W, S and E pitches.
INTERIOR: fine original deoration retained, joinery work by Scott Morton and Co, cabinetmakers; inlaid vestibule and hall floors; decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling details, particular use of thistle motif; built-in cupboards and display cabinets; well-crafted oak dressers to pantry and scullery fittings; substantial corner corbels to bedroom ceilings; archway to attic landing; decorative plasterwork recesses to saucer skylights; coved ceiling to attic billiard room with ashlar moulded chimneypiece inscribed "East or West Home is Best" with cartouche carved at centre, plasterwork overmantel rising into corbelled plaster canopy. BOUNDARY WALLS STEPS AND GATES: saddleback ashlar coping to coursed sandstone rubble boundary walls, 16" in diameter; ashlar steps to side elevations. Boarded 2-leaf timber gates.
Statement of Special Interest
See 33 Mortonhall Road above. 14 Oswald Road was tailored for the architects friend, John Fraser Barton of William Barton & Sons Ltd, plumbers. The original design was amended in 1898 to include a billiard room in the attic while ensuring that no element broke the ridge line. A-Group with 31, 33 and 35 Mortonhall Road.
Dean of Guild 13/5/1897, 12/8/1897, 31/3/1898 and 2/6/1898; D C Mays J Kinross: His LIfe and Work University of St Andrews dissertation (1988).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.