Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 LAUDER ROAD, DOUGLAS HOUSE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB30411

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Supplementary Information Updated
15/03/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26108 71679
Coordinates
326108, 671679

Description

Circa 1865. 2-storey, irregular-plan Italianate villa with entrance tower. Roughly stugged, squared and snecked cream sandstone masonry with polished dressings and contrasting red sandstone details to tower. Band and eaves courses, rusticated quoins, overhanging timber eaves and chamfered reveals. SOUTH (FORMER ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-stage square entrance tower, recessed to outer right with architraved keystoned round-arched doorway (now blocked and windowed). Pilaster doorpiece with carved consoles supporting cornice. Bipartite round-arched window at 1st floor with blind diminutive arcaded apron, contrasting mullions and carved animal capitals. Letterbox window at 2nd floor breaking eaves, timber piend-roofed towerhead at 4th stage with arcaded tripartite windows above cornice and aprons to each face (1 light blinded). Lean-to with glass roof and open side across 3 principal bays. Advanced and corniced bipartite window (now door and single windw) in bay to right with bipartite window above. Full-height canted window with decorative cast-iron balcony at 1st floor in bay to centre. Recessed bay to outer left with single window at ground floor (now converted to door). Single window with decorative cast-iron balcony at 1st floor. Single storey addition to west. EAST (LAUDER ROAD) ELEVATION: entrance tower to outer left; details as above except round-arched window at ground floor with border glazing pattern. 2 bays slightly advanced to right of tower. Advanced single storey service wing to outer right. WEST ELEVATION: single storey pitched and asphalted roof addtion to advanced bay to outer right. Single window recessed bay to inner right, with modern fire escape and rendered chimney stack. 3 piend-roofed bays to outer left with regular fenestration. NORTH ELEVATION: 3-bay advanced piend-roofed block to outer right. Recessed central bay with arcaded tripartite stair window. Single storey service wing to outer left. Plate glass, 4-pane, and small-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs and lead flashing. Corniced and shouldered stacks. Lead finial to tower roof. Box dormer to south. Segmental-arched dormer to west. INTERIOR: imperial staircase with carved wooden balustrades and newel posts. Elaborate bracketed plasterwork cornice and decoration. BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: high mutual boundary walls and to Lauder Road and to Lauder Road and Grange Loan. Coped coulded ashlar gatepiers to Lauder Road. Single storey timber outhouses to north. Ashlar steps down to wellhead in garden.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly known as Oakbank (Ordnance Survey, 1877) and then as West Thorn (Ordnance Survey, 1896). The wellhead in the garden is marked on the Grainer and Miller feuing plan of the Grange of 1825. (see Grange Association 1982, p15) and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1852, but not on subsequent Ordnance Survey maps. The well appears to have served a small row of cottages on Grange Loan.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1852, published 1855) Edinburgh, Sheet 6 (including Edinburgh; Lasswade) 1st Edition, 6 inch to 1 mile. Ordnance Survey: Southampton.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1877, published 1885) Edinburgh, Sheet 6 (including Edinburgh; Lasswade) 2nd Edition, 6 inch to 1 mile. Ordnance Survey: Southampton.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1896) Edinburghshire III.12 (Edinburgh) 1st Edition, 25 inch to 1 mile. Ordnance Survey: Southampton.

Post Office Directory (1866).

Grange Association (1982) p15.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 LAUDER ROAD, DOUGLAS HOUSE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 02:46