Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

48 AND 50 DICK PLACE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB30368

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 25720 71723
  • Coordinates: 325720, 671723

Description

Frederick T Pilkington, circa 1863. 2-storey with mezanine, cellar and attic, 4-bay (garden elevation) symmetrical rectangular-plan double villa in a sturdy free interpretation of gothic Romanesque. Pink bull-faced sandstone with cream ashlar dressings; chamfererd reveals.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: mirrored about centre; advanced enclosed court adjoined at centre with single windows behind; bipartite windows at 1st floor; canted piend-roofed dormers breaking eaves above. Flat-roofed 2-storey projections in penultimate bays with jetted 1st floor and chamfered angles (leaded tripartite windows at ground, 2 narrow windows at 1st floor). Gabled porch adjoined to outer return: timber barrel-vaulted Soffit; round-arched with crowsteps and sylized capitals; 2-leasf panelled door. Broad shouldered wallhead stacks behind with triangular lancets (for stacks see below). 1 single window at 1st floor. Chamfered outer angles with narrow windows, pointed-arched at 1st floor, as chamfer sweptto square.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 4-bay symmetrical; broadly chamfered angles with steeply shouldered wallhead stacks. Single windows in bays flanking centre at ground; bipartite windows at 1st floor. Full-height canted windows in outer bays (1 with French window), carved lintel to centre light at ground floor. Colonette mullions to 1st floor windows with bases extending down to lintel level and corbelled from lintel level at ground. Carved lintels to 1st floor windows.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: largely blank; garages adjoining; timber-framed glass lean-to to outer left.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; lead flashing; 1 ridge stack, 4 shouldered wallhead stacks; all stacks with individual flues linked by acanthus cornice and heavy coping.

INTERIOR (NO 50): inticate planning with principal rooms to rear set at 45 degrees to main elevations; distinctive plasterwork throughout; carved newels and barleysugar balustrade; original fireplace; tripartite vestibule door with etched glass in outer panels; encaustic tiled vestibule.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low saddle back wall to street with round-headed gatepiers; high retaining and mutual walls.

Statement of Special Interest

48 and 50 Dick Place are the only known pair of semi-detached villas by Pilkington. The houses were built on part of a large parcel of land feued from Sir John Dick Lauder in September 1864. Pilkington built his own house, "Egremond" (see 38 Dick Place), on the other. The land on which the semi-detached villas stand was transfered or sold to the Misses Janet, Elizabeth, and Margaret Wallace Millie in December 1864.

References

Bibliography

Sasines 28/10/1864, 16/12/1864; OS 1877; Po Directory 1864; Grange Association (1982), p53;

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/07/2016 14:59