Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-3 (Inclusive Numbers) Argyle Park Terrace, EdinburghLB30331

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/01/1992
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25615 72475
Coordinates
325615, 672475

Description

W Hamilton Beattie, circa 1874. 4-storey Scots Baronial style tenements, 7-bay at ground floor. 6 regularly fenestrated bays above. Squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings, painted at ground floor. Base course; broken corbel table above 2nd floor, and above 1st floor at 4th and 5th bays; raised long and short quoins; crowstepped gables; raised window surrounds; chamfered reveals.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorways at 2nd, 4th, and 6th bays; panelled doors; plate glass fanlights. Bipartite windows at all floors in bay to outer left; eaves cornice surmounted by French pavilion roof and iron finial. 3-storey canted window with dividing cornices in bay to outer right; lead canopy swept to 4th floor window; initialled panel in gablehead. Single windows in remaining bays; bays 2 and 3 gabled; 4th floor windows breaking eaves in pedimented dormerheads at bays 4 and 5. Corbelled turret at NW angle, with bipartite window, conical roof, and iron finial.

W ELEVATION: central bay with single windows to every floor; M-gabled. Predominantly 4-pane sash and case windows. Gray slate gabled roof; corniced wallhead and mutual stacks (partially rendered); moulded cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1990.

Low saddleback wall to street.

Statement of Special Interest

Forms continuous irregular terrace with 31-43 (inclusive nos) Argyle Place, 1-5 (inclusive nos) Argyle Park Terrace and 1-15 (odd nos) Roseneath Terrace. Designed for the builder, John Pyper.

The period between 1860 and 1900 saw significant residential expansion in the city of Edinburgh with construction of a number of residential tenement suburbs.

The tenement suburb of Marchmont developed between circa 1876 and 1914

following the feuing of the Warrender family estate (land south of the Meadows).

Marchmont's development can be viewed in two distinct phases, with the first phase, prior to 1900, largely following the plan laid out by David Bryce of 1869. This phase, which saw the construction of streets in the north and east of the site, is characterised by the individual nature of the work by builders and architects who frequently developed only one or two feus at a time. These tenements were built predominantly in the baronial style following guidelines set down in the 1869 feu charter. In the second phase, after 1900, the baronial style recedes and elevations become more uniform.

William Hamilton Beattie, 1842-1898, was an Edinburgh based architect who practised as George Beattie & Sons. Renowned for his hotel commissions, Beattie was responsible for the design of a number of important buildings in Edinburgh including Jenners department store, Princes Street. 1-3 Argyle Park Terrace was his only tenement design in Marchmont.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '1-3 (inclusive Argyle Park Terrace'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 125930

Post Office Directory 1875

Cant, M. (1984) Marchmont in Edinburgh, Edinburgh: John Donald. pp. 114-122.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 500.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, William Hamilton Beattie, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=100141 [accessed 17 February 2015].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

North elevation, 1-3 (Inclusive Numbers) Argyle Park Terrace, Edinburgh

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:44