There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 19/03/1993
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24797 73111
- Coordinates: 324797, 673111
Stewart Kaye, 1935, with later additions. 5-storey monumental U-plan symmetrical development of shops, offices (now subdivided into flats) and cinema, with Modern Movement details. Steel frame and composition brick with polished sandstone ashlar (Blaxter Quarry, Northumberland) to principal elevations. Polished granite base course and band courses to ground of E and N elevations; 1st floor channelled with bracketted band course above; giant 3-storey architraves uniting 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor windows of each bay; cornice; parapet.
E (PRINCIPAL, LOTHIAN ROAD) ELEVATION: 31 bays: 3 to each pavilion at corner and in centre; 2 intermediate sections of 10 bays; canted bays to outer right and left. Corner pavilions and ground storey advanced, forming balcony to 1st floor of intermediate bays; pilasters between shopfronts. To right of centre at ground, main entrance to flats; grey polished granite doorpiece with Art Deco mouldings; 2-leaf boarded door with kite-shaped glazing panels and brass fittings; 3-light fanlight with decorative ironwork and bronze cipher. Fluted frieze above granite band courses; balcony to 1st floor windows between outer pavilions. Central pavilion slightly advanced above ground floor; carved stone panel to bracketted band course depicts canal workers; carries motto 'Here stood Port Hopetoun, 1822-1922'; above glazing, 2 stylised stone finials supported on brackets. Corner pavilions: plain ashlar plaques to centre of bracketted band course; 2 stylised stone finials supported on brackets above glazing. Cornice and recessed blocking course to canted bays.
N (SIDE, FOUNTAINBRIDGE) ELEVATION: corner pavilion to outer right; 12 bays extending to left, only 3 original; chamfered bay to Semple Street with polished grey granite doorway to ground. All of corresponding format to principal elevation.
S (SIDE, MORRISON STREET) ELEVATION: corner pavilion to outer left; 3-storey range extending to Semple Street; black glazed tiles to ground floor; 3 recessed entrances, to outer right and left, and to centre; single windows to channelled 1st floor; 2 single windows to left of 2nd floor.
W (REAR, SEMPLE STREET) ELEVATION: 4 bays to outer right corresponding to front elevation. Adjoining block 9 bays; 4 bays to right 2-storey, 5 bays to left 3-storey; 2 recessed doorways to ground; 1st floor channelled; modern block to left; plain masonry rear of cinema to outer left.
2 cast-iron panels with motifs in relief (designed by C d'O Pilkington Jackson) vertically separate glazing of upper 3 stories. Steel-framed windows (supplied by Frederick Braby & Co, Glasgow) to upper floors. Flat roof (originally concrete covered with "Namastic" rock asphalt) to shops and offices; grey slate piended roof to cinema.
Statement of Special Interest
Impressive monumental classical office building, occupying entire length of street. Designed for Sir Albert Ball (Nottingham) Ltd, and built on the site of the Port Hopetoun terminal of the Union Canal. A scheme for the site, drawn up by Robert Mayhew, appears to have been rejected in 1934. Stewart Kaye's initial proposals including a large hotel along Morrison Street and a 3000-seat cinema, entered from Lothian Road, were conceived with government use in mind; the first tenants included the Inland Revenue. The hotel was never built, but the site was subsequently taken up by the Regal Cinema and renamed the ABC in 1969. The cinema was closed in 2000 with the auditorium demolished and redeveloped as offices and a small multiplex cinema (CTA, 2008).
References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
City Archives, Dean of Guild Records, 22/11/1935; LION FOUNDRY CATALOGUE, Vol 1 (7th edition, circa 1935), p167; W Forbes Gray and L Spencer LOTHIAN HOUSE - AN ENTERPRISE IN THE SCOTTISH CAPITAL TO PROVIDE SHOPS AND OFFICES OF A METROPOLITAN CHARACTER (1937), pp1-42; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991), p268. Cinema Theatre Association, www.scottishcinemas.org.uk, (2008).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.