Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

15 CALTON HILLLB30204

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
14/03/1989
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26029 74097
Coordinates
326029, 674097

Description

W.R. Fleming, 1908. Classical office building with symmetrical elevations; 3 bays to E elevation, 5 bays to S elevation; 3 storeys and attic. Polished ashlar (glazed brick to rear). Dividing band between ground and 1st floors and between 1st and 2nd floors; band course and main cornice above 2nd floor; eaves cornice, blocking course. Giant pilasters dividing central 3 bays to 1st floors of E and S elevations; pilaster strips dividing central 3 bays to attic floors of E and S elevations. Regularly fenestrated.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2- leaf timber-panelled door with plain fanlight in round-arched opening, flanked left and right by round-arched windows with recessed aprons. At far right, chamfered corner (to ground floor only) with ogee stop-chamfer. Blind window to central bay of 2nd and attic floors.

S ELEVATION: ground level built up to first floor level. No windows to outer left and right bays of 1st floor.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation; white glazed brick with polished ashlar cills and lintels.

N ELEVATION: partly obscured by No. 9-13 Calton Hill, adjoining (see separate List description).

GLAZING etc: plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; plate glass glazing in timber T-bar pattern windows to round-arched openings. Corniced stone wall-end stack to N elevation, circular cans. Concealed flat roof; small square pilastered and corniced ashlar plant room to NW corner.

INTERIOR: small entry lobby; timber panelled, lights to sides. Ground floor reception room: timber panelled walls, corniced and coffered ceiling. Elaborate wrought iron lift in main stairwell; timber panelled interior; wrought iron lift barrier forming stair banister through height of building. 2nd floor room facing E : timber panelling, timber chimney-piece and overmantel with mirror; plaster frieze featuring putti, ceiling-cornice, moulded plaster border on ceiling featuring arabesque style motifs; similar frieze, cornice and ceiling treatment in adjacent room. Timber wall panelling and door pieces also extant in further parts of building.

Statement of Special Interest

15 Calton Hill was designed as an extension to the Waterloo Place offices of the Edinburgh and Leith Corporation Gas Commissioners, by the Corporation's chief engineer. A traditional tenement, which had stood on the site since the late eighteenth century, was demolished to make way for the present building (as were tenements at 3,5 and 7 Calton Hill, which were replaced by a plainer workshop block for the Corporation at the same time (not part of Statutory List

The new block (referred to as the engineer's block in the plans) included a public office at ground floor and a small caretaker's flat on the third floor. The chief engineer's rooms, quite lavishly decorated, were on the second floor. The quality of the interior reflects that of the exterior, which was successfully designed to blend in with and mirror the style and detailing of Waterloo Place, built nearly a century earlier.

The building is now a hotel and connects internally with Nos. 9-13 and 3-7 Calton Hill.

References

Bibliography

M S Irvine, HISTORICAL NOTES - THE CALTON OR CALDTOUN OF EDINBURGH, 1631-1887 (Cowan Bequest, Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library).Plans and elevations, PETITION OF THE EDINBURGH AND LEITH CORPORATION GAS COMMISIONERS Dean of Guild Edinburgh City Archives. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp138-147. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p448. RCAHMS Inventory.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15 CALTON HILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:08