Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

22-30 (EVEN NUMBERS) SHANDWICK PLACELB30181

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 30/01/1981

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 24574 73656
  • Coordinates: 324574, 673656

Description

Hamilton Beattie, 1876-1877 later conversion by Frank Simon (1890s). 4-storey and attic, 6-bay Free Renaissance tenement and commercial premises. Sandstone ashlar. Later commercial premises at ground floor, except for off-centre doorpiece with bracketed segmental pediment and carved tympanum of reclining figures with coat of arms above. Cornice and blocking course over ground floor, dentilled to right. Full height canted flanking bays at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors with channelled pilasters. Cill courses at 2nd and 3rd floors. Decorated eaves entablature with swagged frieze and dentilled mutule cornice. Parapet above broken by wallhead dormers; pedimented and finalled to centre; pilastered with segmental pediments to outer bays. Bipartite windows to centre with deep bracketed hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Flanking roundheaded windows set within corniced raised panels. Round headed corniced and pilastered windows at 2nd floor. Architraved windows at 3rd floor.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Double pitch M-section roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar end stacks and straight skews.

Statement of Special Interest

A well detailed building originally purpose built as the Albert galleries and later converted to the Army and Navy Stores by Frank Simon in the 1890s. The building retains much of its original rich detailing to the upper floors. The original functional of the building as a purpose built gallery links it to the turn of the century art movement in Shandwick Place, which saw some of the Scottish Colourists working in this area. The bas relief panels on the building, which include Prince Albert in the pediment and the figures of Painting and Poetry are by Mrs D.O. Hill.

William Hamilton Beattie was a prolific architect, working originally as part of his father George's practice. The practice worked almost exclusively in Edinburgh on a large variety of residential and commercial premises. Other important works include the Jenners Department store and The North British Railway Hotel. Beattie was comfortable working in a variety of styles, choosing German Renaissance styling for Jenners, whilst designing a more flowing Baroque inspired scheme for the Albert Buildings.

(List description revised on resurvey 2009)

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1893 - 94; J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 380; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p.215; http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/ (accessed 19/2/08).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 27/08/2016 05:38