Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

30-68 (EVEN NOS) ST MARY'S STREET, 1-7 (ODD NOS) HOLYROOD ROAD AND 2 AND 4 BOYD'S ENTRY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO GULLANE'S CLOSELB30168

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26223 73556
Coordinates
326223, 673556

Description

D Cousins & J Lessels, 1869. 3-storey and attic, multi-gabled crowstepped Scots Baronial row of tenements, returning 7-bays to Boyd's Entry and 6-bays to Holyrood Road, with shops to ground and single-storey, balustraded shop to No 7 Holyrood Road. Snecked rubble with ashlar margins. Cill course at Nos 58-62, cornice to 2nd storey. Segmental-arched and rectangular window openings, some corniced. Pedimented dormers, some with apex stacks. Canted corner bay at Cowgate with turrets with pepperpot roofs. Canted, corbelled corner at Boyd's Entry with painted bull figurehead.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Shopfronts mainly with stone pilasters and fascias. Some with decorative metal stallrisers. No 52 with glass brick stallrisers and canopies. Recessed entrances to shops with 2-leaf timber storm doors. Predominantly 4 and 6-pane timber entrance doors to flats.

E (rear) elevation with projecting, flat-roofed, ground storey with common drying greens on top surrounded by metal railings.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to ground. Grey slates, gable stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL: to E. Coped rubble lower sections with metal railings. Gatepiers with pyramidal caps.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with No 2 St Mary's Street and 274-278 Canongate and 4-28 St Mary's Street.

This is an important and particularly long run of tenement buildings, built in the then fashionable Scots Baronial style. It remains largely unaltered externally and contains a number of shopfronts, the character of which is largely preserved. Forming a significant portion of the Eastern side of St Mary's Street, this row, together with Nos 6-28 St Mary's Street (see separate listing) determines the essential character of the street. The row has a projecting, flat-roofed ground floor to the rear, with drying greens on the top. The 1950s shop front at No 52 with glass brick stall risers is particularly unusual and a good survivor of its type. The single-storey, balustraded shop at No 7 Holyrood Road, is similar to No 4 St Mary's Street (see separate listing) and the two form the outer wings of the whole design.

St Mary Street was formed as part of the first wave of sanitary improvements within the Old Town of Edinburgh. Living conditions in the Old Town declined during the course of the early 19th century as the wealthier residents moved to the more respectable New Town. By 1850, the area had one of the worst slums on Europe. The Town Council decided to begin a Sanitary Improvement Scheme and instituted the 1867 Edinburgh Improvement Act. This involved the large-scale clearance, on health grounds, of 34 selected areas of the Old Town, including the old St Mary's Wynd. There was no immediate requirement to build any new houses as part of the scheme until a new agency, the Edinburgh City Improvement Trust, was set and began a programme of new house building over a 20 year period. St Mary's, Blackfriars and Jeffrey Streets were part of the initial wave of building and were intended for workers and artisans - not for the residents who had previously lived in the area, who were too poor to afford the rents.

John Lesssels (1809-1883) came from a family of builder-architects. With a successful practice in Edinburgh, he became friendly with David Cousin, the City Architect. As a result of the friendship, Lessels was appointed joint architect to the City Improvement Trust in 1866 and the proposals for St Mary Street were presented later that year.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1876-7). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p233. L Rosenburg & J Johnson, Conservative Surgery in Old Edinburgh, 1880-1940 in B Edwards & P Jenkins (eds) Edinburgh, The Making of A Capital City, 2005, pf131.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30-68 (EVEN NOS) ST MARY'S STREET, 1-7 (ODD NOS) HOLYROOD ROAD AND 2 AND 4 BOYD'S ENTRY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO GULLANE'S CLOSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 23:16