Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

109,110 AND 111 PRINCES STREETLB30147

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Supplementary Information Updated
12/03/2021
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25061 73826
Coordinates
325061, 673826

Description

John Lessels, 1869; modern shopfronts at ground. Four storey attic and garret, eight-bay French Renaissance former hotel with shops at ground. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Arched doorway at centre right with two-leaf panelled doors, framed by polished pink granite Corinthian columns and modillioned cornice and two urns on parapet; cornice survives to west shop (which has modern plate glass front), but modern east shop slightly built out; cast-iron balustrade survives right across. At upper floors, two-bay centrepiece slightly advanced and framed by barley twist nook-shafts up to third floor. Outer bays with canted windows rising through first and second floors (that to left timber); central bays with arched windows at first floor, architraved at second; Two centre bays at second floor with mask keystones and consoled balcony with cast-iron balustrade. Third floor with corbelled cill course and squat panelled pilastrade; segmental-headed windows. Modillioned cornice. Two centre bays with tall pavilion roof and pilastered and pedimented tripartite wallhead dormer. Wallhead dormers with segmental pediments to flanking bays, joined by cast-iron balustrade. Six arched garret dormers set back above. Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Ashlar coped skews; corniced ashlar stacks; grey slates. INTERIOR: shops modernised but very fine three-storey top-lit cast-iron galleried saloon survives to rear at No 110. Decorative cornices at first floor, with slappings through to adjoining store at 112 (Debenhams). Gladstone Memorial Library including bust of William Gladstone (1809-1898) at the first floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally the Palace Hotel, converted to the Liberal Club in 1890. The saloon at No 110 was the showroom of the cabinet makers John Taylor & Son; it is the oldest of the three cast-iron galleried types with fireproof cladding to survive in Scotland. Jenners and Wylie & Lochead's in Glasgow being the others. The upper floors are now part of Debenhams department store (see separate listing).

Listed building record updated in 2021.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/, CANMORE ID: 74030, 253374, 240808

Building News (26 March 1869)

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1988) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 312.

Royal Scottish Academy 1869 exhibition catalogue.

Further information provided by member of the public (2021).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 109,110 AND 111 PRINCES STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 03:49