Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

28 AND 30 NICOLSON STREET AND 21 HILL PLACE, THE ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND BUILDINGLB30141

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/03/2000
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26096 73208
Coordinates
326096, 673208

Description

T P Marwick, 1897-8. 4-storey and attic, 2 x 4 bay Free Renaissance corner tenement with ground floor bank with 3-windows to corner bay and distinctive polygonal tower. 2-storey flat-roofed extension to W (Hill Place). Outer bay to Hill Place forms pyramidal tower at top storey. (Currently bank and university department, (2007).) Red sandstone. Tall, polished granite base course, cill course, deep moulded cornices to ground, 2nd and 3rd storeys. Square-plan plinths with tiered obelisks at wallhead. Segmental-headed dormers with balustrade.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf timber panelled entrance door at splayed angle with carved consoled doorpiece; flanking elaborately carved niches. Keystoned, semi-elliptical-arched openings to ground, separated by Doric pilasters, with Diocletian windows with timber transoms and Corinthian-column mullions. 3rd storey with deep recessed keystoned round-arched window openings, separated by engaged Ionic columns.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows to upper floors, casement windows to 3rd storey. Fixed plate glass to ground. Green slates. Coped gable and ridge stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: (Partially seen 2007). Believed to be comprehensively modernised

Statement of Special Interest

This is a highly decorative and well-detailed tenement with significant streetscape value on important corner site. The wealth of detailing on the top storey and attic is particularly fine and the polygonal corner turret is a distinctive feature of the building. The building was originally constructed for the National Bank of Scotland and is an imposing, eye-catching building which was intended to display wealth and permanence.

The National Bank of Scotland was formed in 1825 and amalgamated with the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1969. 21 Hill Place is currently the University of Edinburgh Institute of Applied Language Studies (2007).

Thomas P Marwick, (1854-1926) was an Edinburgh architect who designed many tenements in the Marchmont area of the city and who also retained the National Bank as a client throughout his career. He worked primarily in the Free Renaissance and neo-Baroque tradition.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1905-6). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984 p248. Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk (accessed 01-06-07)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 28 AND 30 NICOLSON STREET AND 21 HILL PLACE, THE ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 01:56