Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25837 73743
325837, 673743


James Dunn and James Findlay, 1899-1902, with later alterations (see Notes). 6-storey and attic 5-bay Baroque art gallery with 2-storey arcade to ground on octagonal piers; 2-storey link (now cafe and shop) to Scotsman building to left, with round-arched entrance to Fleshmarket Close. Dentilled cornice above 2nd floor; cill course to 6th floor; modillioned eaves cornice. 5 bipartite dormer windows with alternate triangular and segmental pediments to attic, linked by balustraded balcony. Blocked Roman Doric mullions to tripartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor in segmental-arched recesses, and blocked Roman Doric colonnettes to tripartite windows at 6th floor.

Small-pane glazing. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers. Corniced, bow-ended end stack with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Following the widening of North Bridge, and the demolition of Halkerston's Wynd, Kinloch's Close, Carruber's Close, Milne's Square and the Poultry Market, the huge site to the W of the Bridge was purchased from the City in 1898 by John Ritchie & Co, proprietors of the SCOTSMAN newspaper. Dunn and Findlay were commissioned to design a complex of buildings for the site, including offices and printing works for the newspaper, and commercial premises. (James Leslie Findlay was the son of John Ritchie Findlay, proprietor of the SCOTSMAN.) The Market Street premises had a lower level link to Waverley Station and a special 'Scotsman' railway siding. The interior was converted to exhibition space by the City Architect's Department 1979-80; the first floor was cut back, giving double-height entrance hall.

Category changed from B to A, 19 December 2002.



Original drawings in the collection of the National Monuments Record. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 230.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) MARKET STREET, CITY ART CENTRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/07/2022 05:12