Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9-16 (INCLUSIVE NOS) GEORGE IV BRIDGELB30110

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/04/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25646 73410
Coordinates
325646, 673410

Description

R Thornton Sheills, 1868. 3-storey, attic and basements (to Cowgate) 10-bay tenement block with shops to ground at George IV Bridge. Polished ashlar (painted to ground); stugged ashlar with polished dressings to 1st 3 floors of basements to Cowgate; ashlar above; coursed rubble to rear.

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: base course and cornice to shops; cill course to 2nd floor; eaves and blocking courses. Corniced windows with lugged architraves linked by paired incised lines at 1st and 2nd floors. Doric pilasters to shops at ground floor to right; modern shop front to left; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats. Pedimented dormers to mansard roof. Cast-iron parapet with anthemion motif and stone balustrade.

N (COWGATE) ELEVATION: 3 bays, 7-storeys and attic to left; 5-storey 2-bay pedimented block to right with paired windows to ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, and single window flanked by paired pilasters at 4th.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar end and ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild, 2nd October 1868. Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 226.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-16 (INCLUSIVE NOS) GEORGE IV BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:48