Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

47-53 (ODD NOS) COCKBURN STREETLB30082

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25831 73715
Coordinates
325831, 673715

Description

Peddie and Kinnear, Architects, 1859-61. 3-storey and attic 7-bay symmetrical Scots Baronial tenement block with shops to ground floor; corbelled-out bowed oriels to 1st and 2nd floors in outer bays, corbelled to square fish-scale-slated ogee-roofed caphouses with weathervanes at attic. Ashlar to ground floor, lightly stugged squared and snecked sandstone with polished dressings above. Continuous cornice to ground floor; machicolated corbel course to eaves. Roll-moulded segmental-arched openings to ground floor; timber-panelled door to flats with plate glass fanlight. Windows above in roll-moulded stop-chamfered surrounds. 5 finialled, gabled segmental-arched dormer windows to attic.

REAR ELEVATION: machicolated corbel table to attic floor; crowstepped gable to right, finialled dormerheaded windows breaking eaves to left.

Plate glass to shops; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows above. Grey slates. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A Group comprises 1-63 (Odd Nos) and 2-6 and 18-56 (Even Nos) Cockburn Street. The site was originally intended to be a public hall, but in 1862 the Lord Provost, Duncan McLaren, proposed the building (in memory of Prince Albert) of a larger public hall, to be constructed between the City Chambers and Bank Street. Known briefly as Lord Cockburn Street, Cockburn Street was named after the doyen of conservationists, Lord Cockburn, who died in 1854. It was built by the High Street and Railway Station Access Company, under the Railway Station Acts of 1853 and 1860, to provide access to Waverley Station from the High Street. The serpentine curve of the street (anticipated in Thomas Hamilton's Victoria Street) gives a gradient of not more than 1:14; James Peddie and Henry J Wylie were the engineers. One of the aims of the design was to conceal the diagonal line of the street from Princes Street. The rear elevation of Nos 47-53 was designed to be part of the romantic silhouette of the Old Town, viewed from the Norrth. A watercolour perspective drawing of the street by John Laing, published in THE BUILDER of 1860, shows how this was to be achieved. Stylistically, the intention was 'to preserve as far as possible the architectural style and antique character of the locality.' Peddie and Kinnear's Cockburn Street designs are an innovative application (much imitated later) of the Scots Baronial style, previously used by Burn and Bryce in country houses, to the urban situation, with shops and tenements enlivened by crowstepped gables, corbelling and turrets, linked by moulded string courses.

References

Bibliography

Plans in NMRS (Block E, working drawings dated 9th November 1859, revised July 1862 prior to execution). Dean of Guild Railway Station Access Company 14th July 1863. BUILDER 2nd August 1851 and 29th September 1860. Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) vol I pp 282-4. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 223. Information courtesy of David Walker junior (2001).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 47-53 (ODD NOS) COCKBURN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 23:06