Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

University of Edinburgh, Chisholm House, Including Railings, High School Yards, EdinburghLB30049

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26215 73501
Coordinates
326215, 673501

Description

1764. 3-storey, attic and basement, 3-bay former town house (currently offices, 2007) with oversailing entrance platt. Painted harl with ashlar margins and raised long and short quoins; rubble to rear (E). Band course above basement, raised cills, cornice. Later pair of bipartite dormers. Entrance door to far left with 4-pane timber entrance door with 3-light fanlight above.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped gable stacks. Raised skews.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Converted to form offices. D-plan open-well stair with cast iron balusters and timber handrail, wooden balusters at attic.

RAILINGS: to W. Row of spear-headed metal railings with integral gate.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a late 18th century town house and it is the only surviving dwelling on the former Surgeon's Square. Situated on sloping ground, The East elevation is close to the Flodden Wall a (Scheduled Ancient Monument) and it is a significant contribution to the local streetscape when viewed from the E.

Named Chisholm House after George Chisholm, the first lecturer in Geography at Edinburgh the house is portrayed on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1849-53 as a Burns Hospital.

Surgeon's Square was dominated by the 1697 Surgeon's Hall (see separate listing) on the South side of the Square and had a number of town houses on the East and West sides, some of which were used for privately-run anatomy classes.

Currently offices for the University of Edinburgh (2007).

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as 'High School Yards, Chisholm House, including railings'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 237923

John Ainslie, City of Edinburgh Map, c 1780, NLS.

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1(849-53).

Edinburgh University website www.geos.ed.ac.uk (accessed 25-07-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to University of Edinburgh, Chisholm House, Including Railings, High School Yards, Edinburgh

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 22:52