Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH BRIDGELB30035

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25888 73842
Coordinates
325888, 673842

Description

Blyth and Westland (engineers), with architectural details by Robert Morham, 1894-7. Bridge consisting of 3 wide spans, each constructed of 6 arched iron girders, on masonry piers. Decorative cast-iron arcading to spandrels, beneath consoled and festooned entablature. Canted ends and festooned tops to piers. Bronze plaque to centre (see Notes), and War Memorial (separately listed).

Statement of Special Interest

The foundation stone was laid on 25th May 1896, and the bridge was opened by Lord Provost Sir Andrew McDonald on 1st September 1897. The contractor was Sir William Arrol. The present bridge replaces one taken down in 1896, during the reconstruction and expansion of Waverley Station (also by Blyth and Westland). The old bridge was part of the great civic improvement scheme initiated by Lord Provost George Drummond, who laid the foundation stone in 1763. After a collapse in 1769, the bridge was finally opened in 1772.

References

Bibliography

AJ Youngson MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp 60-65. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) pp 284-5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:18