Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25832 74127
325832, 674127


James Craig, circa 1780; additions and alterations by W W Robertson

(HM Commissioners of Works), 1898. 4-storey and attic, 17-bay classical office, displaced 8-4-5, stepping up slightly. Black painted droved ashlar with polished dressings. Long and short quoins.

NE ELEVATION: cill band at ground with rubble base; band course above ground floor (becomes 1st floor cill course to N). Cornice, all at same level. Recessed lined rendered later attic storey with segmental-arched architraved windows. Barred windows at ground.

ENTRANCE BAY: octagonal entrance and stair tower turning S corner as link to Sasine Office (see separate listing); arched doorpiece framed by blocked Roman Doric columns; surmounted by balustrade and pediment.

NW (END) ELEVATION: 3-bay, largely rebuilt in squared and snecked ashlar; stair bow at centre; flanking bays with broad bipartite windows to all floors. Wallhead gable to left with diminutive bipartite garret window.

Rubble rear elevation.

4- (and 6-) pane timber sash and case windows. Wallhead stacks at cross-walls; grey slates.

INTERIOR: converted to offices (see Notes). Entrance bay faces W (present rear); internal mahogany porch with fluted pilasters and corresponding porter's booth; Ionic columned screen to stair with cast-iron Corinthian posts at base and plain banisters.

Statement of Special Interest

Scottish Office Property. Formerly the SW side of St James Square; the doors can still be discerned at what is now the 1st floor. A Group with adjoining Sasine Office of General Register House and 24 & 25 James Craig Walk, the only other remaining element of St James's Square. These are the only survivors of this development, which was laid out by James Craig in 1773 for Walter Ferguson WS. Craig himself may have been responsible for the design of the buildings. Abutted by the Bus Station to the rear.



Ainslie's Map of 1780. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp98-102. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p328. Kitty Cruft and A Fraser JAMES CRAIG 1744-1795 (1995) pp104-105. Dean of Guild plans 15 August 1898 (HM Commissioners of Works).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to JAMES CRAIG WALK, SCOTTISH OFFICE, FORMERLY 27-31 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ST JAMES'S SQUARE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:17