There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 03/03/1966
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24874 73984
- Coordinates: 324874, 673984
John Young, soon after 1779. 2-storey, half-sunk basement and attic, 3-bay classical former house on corner site. Droved cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings, painted at ground. Eaves cornice. At ground, timber framing and cornice to public bar; elaborate wrought-iron bracket with bar sign; early lettering 'Bernard's Pale Ale' affixed to left hand window. Pair of very large piend-roofed canted slate-hung dormers. 2-bay coursed rubble gable end; 3-stories to rear. Later single storey and attic 3-bay stugged and snecked sandstone house adjoins to rear (No 2 Young Street Lane South).
Timber sash and case windows; uPVC non-traditional windows at 1st floor. Ashlar coped skews; stone stacks (partly rebuilt and rendered to E).
INTERIOR: 4-panelled timber doors; timber boarded panelling to dado. Moulded cornice to central corridor; simple cornice to main bar at left. L-plan timber-panelled bar counter. Simple low gantry with cupboards and mirror. Carved timber chimneypiece partly obscured by counter in main bar; brick chimneypiece in sitting area at right.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with Nos 10-22 (even nos) Young Street as a significant surviving part of the original fabric of the New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Young Street and Hill Street contain the smartest versions of the 2-storey New Town house. This is a simple classical astylar building and is an important component of one of the secondary streets of James Craig's First New Town.
The site was feued to the builder John Young in 1779, and became officially known as Young Street in 1806. The Oxford Bar (No 8) apparently became a public house in 1811, although it was a confectioner's shop in 1843. It was disponed on 30 October 1893 to Andrew Wilson, wines and spirits merchant, and thereafter remained a public bar.
The Oxford Bar retains its compartmentalised form and is therefore an important survival Many public houses have lost their original form with the removal of the walls enclosing small rooms and snugs. The Oxford originally consisting of a central corridor with rooms to right and left, but the corridor has been opened up to the left with an archway into the small stand-up bar but the original form is still clear. The room to the right is accessed from a door toward the rear. The most significant change that it has undergone since becoming a bar is the lowering of the floor level in the corridor and stand-up bar. The chimneypiece on the left wall remains suspended at a high level. The floor level of the room at the right is still on a higher level with steps up at the end of the corridor.
List description updated as part of the Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-08.
Town Council Minutes 11 August 1779, 16 June 1806. Sasines. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1966) p205. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p330. Michael Slaughter (Ed.), Scotland's True Heritage Pubs: Pub Interiors of Special Historic Interest (2007), pp49-50. Information from present licensee (2007).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.