Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-3C (ODD NOS) YORK PLACE, AND 15-19 (INCLUSIVE NOS) NORTH ST ANDREW STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB29958

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/09/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25642 74262
Coordinates
325642, 674262

Description

David Paton, 1824. 4-storey and basement terraced classical tenement on corner site, pilastraded at principal floor and basement. Polished ashlar sandstone. Base course; cornices at principal and 1st floors; mutuled cornice and blocking course at 3rd floor. Architraved windows at 2nd floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-bay. 4-light principal floor comprising windows in centre bays, with full-width bracketed iron balcony, flanked by pair of timber doors; door to right with 6-pane glazed centre panel, 10-pane glazed 2-leaf door to left, both with decorative tripartite rectangular fanlights. 4-light pilastraded 1st floor. Regular fenestration to floors above, with pairs of windows in bay to left at both floors. Glazed 2-leaf timber door and window at basement.

CORNER TOWER: 3-bay, becoming 1 York Place. 7-light pilastraded principal and 1st floors. Panelled timber door centred at principal floor, with 9-pane glazed upper panel and decorative tripartite rectangular fanlight, surmounted by wall-hung shop sign with decorative iron frame, on decorative iron brackets. Regular fenestration to remaining bays at principal floor. 7-light pilastraded 1st floor. Regular fenestration to floors above. Basement comprising glazed timber doors with blind rectangular fanlights in 3rd bay from right and penultimate bay from left; windows in remaining bays at basement.

W (NORTH ST ANDREW STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bay. 7-bay built out principal floor, with corniced frieze, mutuled cornice and blocking course, comprising doorway flanked by 3-bay shopfronts, with canted bay to outer left. Shop to right with steps up to glazed timber door flanked by plate glass windows with glazed returns; shop to left with steps up to glazed timber door in bay to right, plate glass windows in remaining bays, with glazed return. 7-light pilastraded 1st floor. Regular fenestration to floors above.

E ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (5, 5A York Place).

S (NORTH CLYDE STREET LANE) ELEVATION: 3-bay gable. 6-light pilastraded principal and 1st floors. 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door with cornice and 6-pane rectangular fanlight to outer right at principal floor; penultimate lights from left blind at principal and 1st floors. Regular fenestration to floors above, comprising pairs of windows in centre bay, blind to left; blind windows in bay to left.

REAR ELEVATION: not seen, 1998.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Gablehead stacks, shouldered at S elevation, and wallhead stacks with recessed panels; corniced, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by decorative cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Feued by the Heriot Trust and the Town Council. David Paton (1801-1882), son of the Edinburgh builder John Paton, went on to work for Soane in London in 1829. In 1833 he emigrated to America, practising in Carolina, but went back to Scotland in 1840. He returned to America in 1849, dying in New York in 1882. His plans submitted to the Dean of Guild were for two pilastraded floors to be inserted in the existing tenement, but instead the whole building was rebuilt.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp332-3; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), pp109-110; MacRae Heritors 19 and 38.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-3C (ODD NOS) YORK PLACE, AND 15-19 (INCLUSIVE NOS) NORTH ST ANDREW STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 22:13