Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

101 AND 103 WEST BOWLB29906

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/04/1969
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25478 73428
Coordinates
325478, 673428

Description

Late 17th to early 18th century. 3-storey and attic 5-bay tenement with shop to ground floor, stepped with slope of street. Yellow harled with stone margins. Base course; continuous hoodmould over shop openings. Steep forestair with spiral cast-iron railings to right; timber boarded door with decorative cast-iron hinges to flats at 1st floor level. Windows to upper storeys grouped in pairs, with single small window over door; 2 windows to fleur-de lys-finialled crowstepped wallhead gable; square opening (blocked above), previously ventilating roof-space.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Date 1561 on base stone of gable finial. Until after the 1827 Improvement Act West Bow was a steep Z-shaped street which climbed from the Grassmarket to Upper Bow at the foot of Castlehill. Most of the old buildings in West Bow were swept away to make room for the northern side of Victoria Street, built to link the Grassmarket with the new George IV Bridge. Before their demolition, Thomas Hamilton, the architect for the scheme, made careful elevational drawings of the buildings. As Hamilton's drawing shows, the first five houses at the lower end of the street on the W remain.

References

Bibliography

Appears in Thomas Hamilton's 1820 drawing 'Elevations of Houses West Side of West Bow' published in TRANSACTIONS OF THE ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTE OF SCOTLAND 1861-62, NMRS edd/228/19-25. RCAHMS INVENTORY No 52, p 105. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 236.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 101 AND 103 WEST BOW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:04