Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9 VICTORIA STREET, (FORMER ST JOHN'S CHURCH)LB29876

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25559 73475
Coordinates
325559, 673475

Description

George Smith, 1838-40. 3-bay Jacobean former church (now public house and shops). Stugged cream ashlar with polished dressings (rubble to sides and rear). Base course. Long and short quoins. Chamfered mullions and transoms to windows; Slightly advanced pitch-roofed 3-storey centre bay with shaped gable, obelisks on kneelered skewputts and engaged octagonal apex finial; modern glazed door in round-arched hoodmoulded surround with carved headstops and roll-moulded reveals; projecting consoled quadripartite window at 1st floor with decorative consoled cornice; tripartite window at 3rd with strapwork above cornice. Piend-roofed recessed flanking bays: eaves cornice and parapet with obelisks to outer corners, strapwork scrolls linking outer bays to taller inner block; timber panelled doors in corniced surrounds to ground (formerly windows with strapwork decoration over), consoled windows with lugged architraves to 1st.

INTERIOR: double-return stair with cast-iron balusters in entrance hall. Floored over at gallery level; cast-iron columns to horseshoe gallery still in situ. Kingpost roof with decorative circular ventilators.

Grey slates. Paired corniced chimney stalks to rear of centre block.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Built as St John's Church and Parish School (Church of Scotland) for the Parish of Old and New Greyfriars. Land 'on the south side of the new street called Victoria Street' was fued from the Edinburgh Savings Bank. The school house was at the lower level with the 'place of worship' above. Victoria Street and Terrace were part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western Approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith. The architectural style specified by the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act for the new buildings associated with the developments (including this building) was 'Old Flemish,' a variation on Scotch Baronial owing much to the detailing of Heriot's Hospital.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 28th March 1839. Appears on 1854 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 168.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9 VICTORIA STREET, (FORMER ST JOHN'S CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:47