Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

85-99 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SOUTH BRIDGE, 22-40 (EVEN NOS) BLAIR STREET AND 208 COWGATE AND INCLUDING FLATS 10/2, 10/3, 10/8, 10/9, 10/10 AND 10/15 AT 10 BLAIR STREET, EDINBURGHLB29797

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
29/04/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
26/09/2008
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25946 73542
Coordinates
325946, 673542

Description

Possibly Robert Kay (see Notes), circa 1790. 3- and 4-storey (nos 93-95) row of Classical tenements and shops, including former Goldsmiths' Hall, comprising 4 x 7-bay sections with altered shops to ground, situated on steeply sloping site, falling to 6-story and attic at Cowgate (S). Painted ashlar, coursed rubble to Blair Street (W) with ashlar margins. Some band courses, raised cills, cornices. Pedimented gables to S, and at Nos 85-87 and 96-99. Outer sections slightly advanced with raised quoins and pediments with central lunettes.

W elevation (Blair Street): some round and segmental-arched openings at ground and some Venetian windows at upper levels. 3, 3-window pedimented wallhead gables.

S elevation: 5-bays with round-arched openings to ground.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Plate glass to ground. Grey slates, cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR|: The former Goldsmiths' Hall, now a flat, is situated at the 2nd storey of the building at 96-99 South Bridge. It has a fine, classical interior comprising a compartmented, shallow oval domed ceiling. There is some decorative plasterwork and cornicing. There are pairs of Ionic columns at the E and W ends of the hall.

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with the South Bridge and Nos 4-13, 19-67 and 87-99 South Bridge and 9 and 10 Hunter Square and 107-108 South Bridge.

This row of tenements with its restrained, Classical style and simple detailing forms an integral component of the planned streetscape of the South Bridge. Originally 3-storeys in height, with every 3rd block pedimented, this row predominantly retains this design. The elevation to Blair Street is particularly notable for its retention of original round-arched openings at ground level and for its Venetian windows. The South Bridge was also an important part of the city's wider planned streetscape. The height of the tenements on this elevation is typical for the Old Town of Edinburgh and adds to the character of the area. The pedimented terminating block at No 85-87 is a visually important feature of the design.

The former Goldsmiths' Hall, which was in use from 1820-1919, is situated within the building and is included in this listing. Access to the hall, which now has the postal address of Flat 9, 10 Blair Street (10/9 Blair Street), is through the entry door at 10 Blair Street, although 10 Blair Street itself is not listed. The hall has been converted to a flat, but largely retains its original form, with distinctive ceiling and columns. Other flats which are also situated within the listed building, and are included in the listing, are flats 2, 3, 8, 9, 10 and 15. These are also accessed from the entry door at 10 Blair Street.

The A Group recognises the importance of the South Bridge and its associated streetscape buildings as being an outstanding and significant scheme in late 18th century town planning.

In 1753, the South Bridge Act made provision for the building of a bridge to form a link between the North Bridge (see separate listing) and the newly expanding South side of the city. A group of Trustees was set up to oversee the project. These trustees planned to have united facades down both sides of the bridge and a number of architects, including Robert Adam, put forward suggested plans for these. The Adam scheme was for a grand, fully colonnaded street which was rejected because of the expense of the scheme. The Edinburgh architect Robert Kay proposed a simpler plan and the Trustees asked that he consult with two other Edinburgh architects, John Baxter and John Brown. The final design, which is thought to be an combination of the different designs from these architects, was for terraces of simple Classical facades, punctuated with pediments and with round-arched arcading at ground level and plain rectangular windows above. Extra pediments were then added to the corners.

Blair Street was developed in conjunction with the South Bridge.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

Listed building record updated, (2014)

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie, Map of Old and New Town of Edinburgh and Leith with the proposed Docks, 1804. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p234. A Fraser, The Building of Old College, 1989, pf55. The Convenery of the Trades of Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Trades Maiden Fund website http://www.edinburgh-trades.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=191&Itemid=228 (accessed 28-01-14).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 85-99 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SOUTH BRIDGE, 22-40 (EVEN NOS) BLAIR STREET AND 208 COWGATE AND INCLUDING FLATS 10/2, 10/3, 10/8, 10/9, 10/10 AND 10/15 AT 10 BLAIR STREET, EDINBURGH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 01:26