Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

12 DEAN BANK LANE AND SAXE COBURG STREET, DEANBANK HOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLLB29771

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
27/02/2008
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24674 74772
Coordinates
324674, 674772

Description

Late 18th century with later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, Classical, piend-roofed villa with pavilion wings extending to rear, forming U-plan (single storey to front; single storey with attics to rear). Coursed sandstone with droved and polished sandstone ashlar dressings. Rusticated quoins to front elevation; regular fenestration with raised ashlar window margins.

FRONT ELEVATION: half-glazed timber-panelled front door with rectangular fanlight, set in pilastered architrave with cavetto splay. Tripartite windows at ground; lean-to single storey pavilions to outer left and right; French door to left pavilion. Urn finials to corners of main house; ball finials to pavilions.

REAR ELEVATION (DEAN BANK LANE): gothick-arched staircase window to centre; 1968 kitchen extension across ground floor by Michael Laird. Ball-finialed, gabled pavilions advanced to left and right with linking screen wall: right pavilion with oculus window to attic; left pavilion heightened (probably 19th century).

INTERIOR: good 18th century interior largely intact. Late 19th century encaustic tiles to entrance hall; stone staircase; some 18th century chimneypieces including fine white marble chimneypiece with neoclassical reliefs in drawing room; attic bedroom chimneypiece with delft-tile insets and hearth. Simple Georgian cornicing and timber panelled interior doors throughout.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey Scottish slate.

BOUNDARY WALL: high, ashlar-coped sandstone rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 1-15 and 23-32 Saxe Coburg Place. Located on the corner of Dean Bank Lane, Saxe Coburg Place and Saxe Coburg Street: the front entrance is off Saxe Coburg Street.

A good example of a modest late 18th century Classical villa. The core of the house is of a fairly standard design for its date, but the pavilion wings are more unusual and add significantly to its architectural merit. It occupies a prominent position at the junction of the streets mentioned above and its rear elevation contributes significantly to the character of Saxe Coburg Place. The land on which Saxe Coburg Place stands was once part of the garden land of this house, and was feued by the owner, James Rose, in 1821. Its inclusion in the A-Group recognises the architectural and historical connection of this house with Saxe Coburg Place.

Deanbank House was built in the late 18th century. No architect is known for the house, and it was probably designed by the builder using pattern-book designs. Both internally and externally the architectural detailing is elegantly simple, yet somewhat naïve, resulting in a considerable charm of character. The pavilion wings might be slightly later additions, but are probably contemporary with the rest of the house. They appear in their full extent on Ainslie's map of 1804, which is the earliest map of sufficient detail to show the house. The kitchen extension was designed by the architect Michael Laird in 1968 and replaced an earlier addition on the same spot. It is not visible from the street, being entirely hidden by the screen wall.

References

Bibliography

Shown on John Ainslie's map, The Old and New Town of Edinburgh (1804). Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1984) p413. Information courtesy of the owner (2007).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12 DEAN BANK LANE AND SAXE COBURG STREET, DEANBANK HOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 02:38