Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24754 74506
324754, 674506


Robert Brown, 1825; No 104 by George Smith, 1835-6. 37-bay 3-storey and basement terraced tenement. Broached ashlar sandstone, predominantly polished ashlar at principal floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: corniced principal floor, predominantly of pilastraded 2 and 3-bay 2-level shop fronts up to and including No 74, comprising 2-leaf glazed doors, 2-leaf 4-panel timber door to No 74; variety of rectangular fanlights; plate glass and lying-pane windows. 4-panel timber common stair doors in bays 5th, 13th and 21st from right. To E of No 74 doors in bay to outer left, and in bays 6th, 9th and 11th from left, windows in remaining bays at principal floor. Regular fenestration in bays to floors above. No 104 slightly advanced, with taller attic; bipartite window in penultimate bay from left at 2nd floor; blind aprons to 1st floor windows; carved wallhead tablet reading 'St Stephen's School' spanning centre bays on Playfair-esque consoles flanking central 2nd floor windows, surmounted by stone open book sculpture with carved inscription; cornice returned and terminated at corners.

NE ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building at principal floor, see separate listing (106 St Stephen Street); blank at 1st and 2nd floors.

SW ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (Nos 2-18 St Stephen Street).

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate M-roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Variety of broached ashlar ridge and gablehead stacks; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1997, but some evidence of working panelled shutters.

RAILINGS AND LAMPS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with some spear-headed and fleur-de-lis balusters; cast-iron lamp with copper lantern at No 74.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally known as Brunswick Street, St Stephen Street and Place did not form part of the Reid and Sibbald plan for the 1st extension of the New Town (the Second New Town) though the planning of these additional streets was revised to respect the Second New Town and they are thus taken in with the Second New Town A Group. Nos 22-58 refaced by John C Hope, 1976-80. For mews to rear, see separate listing (Circus Lane).



Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp411-12.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22-104 (EVEN NOS) ST STEPHEN STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 08:08