Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

38 AND 39 ST ANDREW SQUARE, BANK OF SCOTLAND WITH LAMP STANDARDSLB29707

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/04/1965
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25689 74089
Coordinates
325689, 674089

Description

David Bryce, 1846. Colossal 3-storey 5-bay Imperial Roman bank. Cream sandstone ashlar, with orange hue subsequent to cleaning. Channelled ashlar ground floor with massive doorway at centre and architraved windows between pilasters; deep-set panelled 2-leaf door, consoled cills and cornices. 1st and 2nd floors set back behind 6 free-standing fluted giant Corinthian columns with heavy entablature breaking forward over each supporting statues (Navigation, Commerce, Manufacture, Science, Art and Agriculture); balustrades between bases of columns; windows with consoled pediments at 1st floor, consoled and balustraded individual balconies at 2nd floor. Balustraded parapet behind statuary.

Timber 8-pane casement windows, plate glass at ground.

INTERIOR: simple entrance hall leads to palatial stair hall with compartmented ceiling; stone stair to left with scrolled and gilded balustrade; landing supported by consoles; arched flat niche contains chimneypiece with pedimented overmantel war memorial with gadrooned frame; flanked by similar smaller examples lit by wrought-iron lamps. Cruciform Banking Hall ahead on axis with tripartite stained glass window divided by Cornithian columns (Governors? Window) above door;

3 bays by 5, with polished Peterhead granite columns and pilasters and side aisles lined with mirrored arches; consoled attic with rich plaster swags and busts of eminent Scots; flat ceiling with Greek cross coffers and central dome of engraved glass; Minton tile floor continues from hall. Boardroom at front entered from landing through massive door with consoled pediment and bolection moulded vine leaf frieze, repeated inside; panelled dado and plaster panelled walls with built in portraits; grey marble chimneypiece at either end, pedimented doors to ante room; dentilled and modillioned cornice and compartmented ceiling. Much original furnishing survives throughout. Linked with No 37 (see separate listing).

LAMP STANDARDS: 4 cast-iron lamp standards on pedestals flank door and elevation.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for the British Linen Bank to replace their adjoining premises, at a cost of ?30,000. The external statuary is by A Handyside Ritchie; the Governors? window by William Wilson, 1953. The building replaced three 3-bay houses acquired by the Bank in 1825. Its design is closely related to Cockerell?s rejected design for the Royal Exchange in London, itself a development of Palladio?s Loggia del Capitaniato in Vicenza.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY no 127. MacRae Her 39. APSD. THE BUILDER 31 August 1850. F Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) II p495. Richardson MONUMENTAL ARCHITECTURE IN GREAT BRITAIN p83. C Malcolm HISTORY OF THE BRITISH LINEN BANK. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) p234. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp326. C McKean EDINBURGH RIAS Guide (1992) p98. Fiona Sinclair SCOTSTYLE: 150 YEARS OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1984) pp24-5. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) p92. Rupert Gunnis DICTIONARY OF BRITISH SCULPTORS 1660-1881 New edition p322.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 38 AND 39 ST ANDREW SQUARE, BANK OF SCOTLAND WITH LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:13