Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

37 ST ANDREW SQUARE, BANK OF SCOTLAND, WITH RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDSLB29706

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/04/1965
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25703 74109
Coordinates
325703, 674109

Description

John Young, after James Craig, 1781; internal alterations and rear additions by William Burn, 1823; David Bryce, 1847-51; and later 20th century. Symmetrical 3-storey and basement classical former house on corner site with forecourt of Dundas House. Polished cream sandstone ashlar (stonecleaned). Channelled basement, giant Ionic order to ground and 1st floors; entablature with fluted frieze, rosettes and dentilled cornice; full ashlar attic storey articulated by piers with ball finials at corners.

W (ST ANDREW SQUARE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. 3 central bays with attached columns, projecting entablature and urns to attic piers. Steps to panelled door with plate glass fanlight to left bay.

E ELEVATION: plain 3-bay elevation with corner pilasters and string course marking cornice. Outer bays blind. Wallhead stack.

Extended to rear.

Timber sash and case windows; 6-pane to ground and 1st floors at front, 12-pane to attic and side. Piend and platform roof; grey slates.

INTERIOR: interconnects with No 38 (see separate listing). Much altered but some details remain.

RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: cast-iron spearhead railings. Pair of cast-iron lamp standards to suit No 38.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by John Young to match No 35 (see separate listing) on the insistence of Laurence Dundas, who thus appropriated a very handsome pair of pavilions. The pilasters were omitted to the side. Acquired early in the 19th century by the British Linen Bank, for whom subsequent changes were made.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY no 127. MacRae Her 39. Malcolm HISTORY OF THE BRITISH LINEN BANK. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp72-92, 234. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p326. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) p98.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 37 ST ANDREW SQUARE, BANK OF SCOTLAND, WITH RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:10