Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25678 74154
325678, 674154


James Craig, 1769; extended E by Archibald Elliot, 1819; NE wing Peddie & Kinnear, 1865; restored by Ben Tindall Architects, 1989. Symmetrical 3-storey and basement classical former house on corner site with forecourt of Dundas House. Polished cream sandstone ashlar (stonecleaned). Channelled basement, giant Ionic order to ground and 1st floors; entablature with fluted frieze, rosettes and dentilled cornice; full ashlar attic storey articulated by piers with ball finials at corners.

W (ST ANDREW SQUARE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. 3 central bays with attached columns, projecting entablature and urns to attic piers. Lowered 2-leaf panelled door with plate glass fanlight at centre.

E ELEVATION: 6-bay; 3 later right bays set back slightly. Wallhead stack.

Timber sash and case windows; 15-pane, 12-pane, 9-pane, 4-pane and plate glass, but consistent within floors and elevations. Piended roof with gable to N; concrete coped skews; grey slates; flagpole.

INTERIOR: mostly of 1819. 3-bay double height columnar screen (Corinthian above Ionic) to imperial stair with tromp l?oeil landscapes of the Forth valley framed by modern pilasters; lit by oculus of ribbed dome on wreathed pendentives; resited doorcase to landing. Front room at 1st floor with Doric frieze (18th century?) and Ionic marble chimneypiece.

LAMP STANDARDS AND RAILINGS: pair of cast-iron lamp standards on ashlar piers flank entrance; simple diamond pattern cast-iron railings on ashlar footings to front.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Andrew Crosbie of Holm, and later copied at No 36/7 (see separate listing) at Laurence Dundas?s insistence. Converted by Archibald Elliot to form the Royal Bank of Scotland?s head office, at which time he reproduced the 3 E bays and lowered the ground floor level; this necessitated largely rebuilding the interior. In 1830 it became the Douglas Hotel, and as such was further enlarged in 1865. Queen Victoria stayed here, as did Walter Scott on his last visit to Edinburgh in 1832. There are plans by Robert Adam in the Soane Collection for a different house which appears to be on this site, but Craig?s authorship is confirmed by a design for the building in his hand and its similarities to other designs by him, notably for Crawford Priory in Fife. A significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh?s New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.




Ian Gow ?Fit for an Empress? COUNTRY LIFE 13 September 1990 pp216-8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 35 ST ANDREW SQUARE WITH LAMP STANDARDS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:07