Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

11-25 (ODD NOS) RUTLAND STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDSLB29693

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24646 73618
Coordinates
324646, 673618

Description

Archibald Elliot, 1819 (planned), 1830 (construction started), with later alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 22-bay near-complete palace-fronted terrace of 3-bay, with 2, 2-bay to NE end, houses (most now converted as offices), adjoining rear of former St Thomas's Church to right (NE) (listed separately), and pavilion end of terrace (No 27, listed separately) to left (SW). Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished ashlar above; polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground floors; cill course to 1st floor; cast-iron balcony to each 3-bay (2-bay to NE) group at 1st floor; string course below cornice; coped baluster parapet. Moulded architraves to openings; consoled and corniced doorways. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; segmental-arched doorways with timber doors and 3-light fanlights in central bays at basement; some bays beneath oversailing entrance platts infilled, with window or door to return; door beneath platt in 2-bay blocks to outer right; windows to remaining bays at basement. Timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight (geometric to Nos 11, 17 and 21) in bay to right of centre (except number 25, to left of centre) at ground floor; regular fenestration to remaining bays; regular fenestration at 1st floor. 2 box dormers to each 3-bay block, single box dormer to each 2-bay block.

NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjacent buildings.

NW ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to Nos 11 and 21; various timber-framed windows to dormers. Grey slate roof; felt-covered dormers with slate aprons; slate-hung mansard to No 23. Coped ashlar and rendered multi-flue stacks at block divisions; tall moulded cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: predominantly converted as offices, not fully seen, 2000.

RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on ashlar copes, (plain up steps to doorways) with 4 evenly disposed ornamental railing-mounted lamp standards with glass globes.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Archibald Elliot designed palace-fronted elevations to line the entrance to Rutland Square from the West End in 1819 for James Stuart. Both sides of Rutland Street are marked on John Wood's revised edition of the map first published by Thomas Brown in 1820. While most of the SE side of the street, (with the exception of Nos 22-26, listed separately), was demolished to make way for the Caledonian Station, the NW side of the street remains relatively intact. The rear of St Thomas' Church (listed separately) to the NE of the street, was re-faced by Wardrop and Reid in 1882, in a Romanesque style and the streetscape as a whole remains an important survivor of a planned scheme leading to Rutland Square.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 OS MAP; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379; Charles McKean, EDINBURGH, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (1992), p117; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKecknie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p 566.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11-25 (ODD NOS) RUTLAND STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:20