There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24635 73512
- Coordinates: 324635, 673512
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey over basement, attic dormers added later, 21-bay, palace-fronted town house terrace comprising recessed central block of 5, 3-bay houses, with further 3-bay, balustraded houses to each end, forming SE side of Rutland Square. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished (some groups stone-cleaned) sandstone ashlar above with polished dressings; coursed stugged sandstone to sides. Band course between basement and ground floors, and between ground and 1st floors; Saltire-cross cast-iron balcony to each 3-bay group at 1st floor; cill course at 2nd floor; cornice above; wide, 3-light box dormer to No 9; box dormer to No 11. Moulded architraves to windows; cornices to 1st floor windows in advanced 3-bay flanking groups; fluted Ionic columns to corniced porches over doors; ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Regularly disposed, deep-set timber panelled door with large rectangular fanlight (4-pane lying-pane to No 11) in doorway at left of each 3-bay block at ground floor; door beneath oversailing stair at basement; windows to all remaining bays to ground floor and basement (except Nos 5 and 6, segmental-arched doorway with 3-pane segmental fanlight in bay to right of door at basement); regular fenestration to upper floors.
NE ELEVATION: architraved and corniced doorpiece (doorway blocked apart form rectangular fanlight) offset to left of centre at ground floor; centred window at each floor above; small window at each floor to left; window (blocked) at 1st and 2nd floors to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: centred architraved door, converted to window at ground floor; 2 evenly disposed windows at 1st floor; centred window at 2nd floor; 3 evenly disposed attic windows above; 2 truncated former multi-flue wallhead stacks above.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
2 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Coped and repaired ashlar wallhead stacks to NE (with many original moulded octagonal cans) and SW. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: spear-headed (plain flanking steps to doors) cast-iron railings, mounted on ashlar copes; pine cone terminals (many missing) to flanking shafts to basement steps; cast-iron railing-mounted lamps with glass globes at right of steps to each 3-bay group.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Archibald Elliot planned the Rutland Square/Street scheme in 1819 for James Stuart. John Learmonth bought the ground in 1825 and developed it from 1830. John Tait, his Architect, worked to Elliot's plans and took up the giant Corinthian pilaster motif at the entrance to the square (1 Rutland Square/28 Rutland Street and 32 Rutland Square/27 Rutland Street, listed separately). This part of the square, along with its mirror-image to the NW (Nos 23-29, virtually identically arranged - see separate list description), appears on the 1840 PO Directory map and is also foretold by Thos Brown's 1823 map, which includes proposed as well as existing buildings. While Rutland Street has not survived entirely as intended, Rutland Square, on the other hand, remains elegantly intact as an important survival of early 19th century planning in Edinburgh.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1840 PO Directory map; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.