Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 AND 3 ROXBURGH PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB29674

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26117 73328
Coordinates
326117, 673328

Description

James Playfair (see Notes), 1790-1. 4-storey, basement and attic, 5-bay Classical tenement comprising former church (currently commercial premises (2007

with flats above, with single bay stairwell to far left. Ashlar with channelled rustication to ground and basement. Band course, cornice, raised cills. 3 Venetian windows to 1st storey.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 5 bays to right with central oversailing entrance platt leading to 2-leaf, 8-panel timber entrance door. Central 3-bay pedimented wallhead dormer with gable stack and flanking piended dormers.

To far left, stairwell bay with Doric-columned, corniced doorpiece with 6-panel timber entrance door.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cast iron rainwater goods.

RAILINGS: low stone base to E (Roxburgh Place) surmounted by spear-headed iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a little altered externally, late 18th century building, with good streetscape presence, and is an unusual composition containing both a church and flats. The Venetian windows to the 1st designed by the celebrated architect James Playfair and is well-proportioned with simple, Classical detailing, including channelled rustication to the ground floor and a central pedimented wallhead dormer. The tenement was planned with a church on the lower 2 storeys and with flats above, entered by the stairwell to the far left.

The lower two storeys were originally St Peter's Episcopal Chapel, formed as an 'overflow' congregation from the church of Old St Paul's in the Old Town. By 1807, the congregation had grown sufficiently to become independent of Old St Paul's and by 1855, the church in Roxburgh Place had become too small. The congregation built and moved to St Peter's Episcopal Church, Lutton Place (see separate listing) in 1860.

Colvin (1995) takes the attribution for this building to be James Playfair from an inscription on the foundation stone, ARCITECTO JOANNE PLAYFAIR. The previous list description suggested that this may mean James' brother John Playfair.

James Playfair, (1755-1794) was an accomplished neo-classical architect who practised both in London and Scotland. His work included private country house commissions, as well as some public buildings. He was the father of the renowned William Playfair.

Building restored in 1980 by Robert Hurd.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie, Map of Old and New Town of Edinburgh and Leith with the proposed Docks, 1804. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p247. H Colvin Dictionary Of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p 762-3. www.stpetersedinburgh.org (accessed 13-12-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 AND 3 ROXBURGH PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 23:31