Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

11 AND 12 RAMSAY GARDENLB29595

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
29/05/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25356 73559
Coordinates
325356, 673559

Description

Stewart Henbest Capper, 1893. Asymmetrical 4-storey, attic and basement 4-bay tenement with Arts and Crafts/Scottish vernacular detailing. Harled brown with red sandstone dressings. Swept roofs; crowstepped gables.

E ELEVATION: engaged octagonal stair tower to right with moulded string courses at 1st and 5th stages, moulded eaves course and finialled red-tiled pyramidal roof; red sandstone to ground floor, harled above: small-pane glazed 2-leaf timber door in depressed-arched roll-moulded surround, flanked by small windows in roll-moulded ogee-arched surrounds; carved cherubs (farmer, blacksmith and mason) over door and windows; corniced red sandstone surrounds to top stage windows, open segmental pediment with thistle to centre. Stone steps and platts with cast-iron handrail over-arching basement area to left; 2-leaf timber panelled door with small-pane glazed fanlight, flanked by transomed window to left, both in roll-moulded depressed-arched surrounds; hoodmoulded tripartite window above. Slightly advanced bay to centre: consoled decorative swept-roofed timber oriel with leaded glass; corbelled out 2-storey gable above, bracketed to left, with apex stack.

W ELEVATION: 3-storey oriel to right, jettied out with swept, bracketed roof at 4th floor. Tripartite window to left at 4th floor with bracketed balcony and decorative wrought-iron balustrade. Jettied projection at 4th floor with small window and swept roof to outer left. 2 piend-roofed dormers to attic.

Small-pane glazing in sash and case and casement windows. Crowstepped skews. Red tiles to roof. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The A group comprises Nos 1-3, Nos 4-10, Nos 11 and 12 and Nos 13-16 Ramsay Garden. The ground on which Ramsay Garden stands was acquired by the poet Allan Ramsay in 1733. On it he built an octagonal villa, Ramsay Lodge, completed circa 1734. The property was purchased by Professor Patrick Geddes from Lord Murray of Henderland, a descendant of Ramsay, in 1890. The complex which Geddes built, incorporating Ramsay Lodge and a plain 18th century tenement to the E, and designed by S Henbest Capper and Sydney Mitchll and Wilson, was an extension of his University Hall, begun in 1883 at 2 Mound Place. As the article in the BUILDER suggests, Geddes' intention was to 'combine the advantages of collegiate life with the more practical needs and shorter purses of Scottish undergraduates.' Nos 11 and 12 were built for Francis Ogilvie, Principal of Heriot Watt College, as one house with studios to be rented out (separate kitchen etc) at 4th and 5th floors. The Ramsay Garden complex is important both architecturally and historically, and also has immense townscape importance -particularly the sky-line as viewed from Princes Street.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 9th February 1893. BUILDER 17th January and 19th August 1893. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p191-2. Margo Johnston JOURNAL OF THE ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE SOCIETY OF SCOTLAND xvi 1989 pp 3-19.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11 AND 12 RAMSAY GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:49