There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 23335 74166
- Coordinates: 323335, 674166
Frederick Pilkington, 1874. 2-storey and attic, roughly 5-bay Second Empire style villa (now a boarding house) with prominent full height bowed bay to centre and slightly advanced and pilastered terminal bays. Sandstone ashlar; channelled at ground floor pilasters. Moulded string course at ground floor; bracketed moulded cill course at 1st floor. Corniced eaves course with blind balustrade above; urns to balustrade piers. Moulded architraved surrounds at ground, 1st and attic floors. Bipartite windows at ground floor flanking arcaded round arched windows to bowed bay. Similar arrangement at 1st floor with segmental arched windows (apart from at bowed bay). Segmental arched bipartite sandstone ashlar dormers to attic flanking bowed bay; shaped dormer to centre of bowed bay with foliate panel to apex. Later single storey, flat roofed additions to S and W.
Porte-cochère to E elevation, forming advanced single storey block. Coursed squared rubble an channelled sandstone ashlar. Large round arched carriage doorways to N and S; crest above doorway to N with urn to left.
FORMER COACH HOUSE: 2-storey (with some 1st floor windows breaking wallhead) former coach house set to SW of main house. Coursed squared sandstone with some sandstone ashlar dressings and quoins. Band course at ground floor, banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course. Large triangular sandstone ashlar dormers to S elevation with shaped sides and moulded ashlar skews. Fielded panel and shaped finial to dormer apex.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Multi-pitch roof, grey slates; shouldered corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: now in use as boarding accommodation for pupils at Stewart¿s Melville College. Richly decorative classical scheme still broadly retained throughout. Large hall with Corinthian pilasters and consoled cornice with all principal rooms off it through double leaf doors with large doorcases. Drawing room to N (now subdivided 2008) with Louis XV panelling and white marble chimneypiece. Dining room to W. Former porte-cochere now used as a room with later lowered ceiling. Large Imperial staircase with carved scrollwork balustrades ending in winged dragons. Large Venetian window with elaborate stained glass. Large coffered ceiling over stair with foliate console brackets and central cupola. Upper floors with later alterations to form dormitories.
Statement of Special Interest
A-group with Stewart¿s Melville College, Art Hall and entrance lodge (see separate listing). Dean Park House is an outstanding example of the later work of Frederick Pilkington, in Second Empire Style. The design exhibits a high degree of ornamentation to both the principal exterior façade and to the interior. The majority of this high quality decoration has remained unchanged despite later alterations and additions. The villa is on a particularly grand scale, and is amongst Pilkington¿s best work. The house was built for the geologist S L Jolly who had feued the ground from the College, although they later bought it back in 1962/3.
Frederick Pilkington worked predominantly in Edinburgh, Penicuik and in the Scottish Borders, although he did also complete works in both Ayrshire and Bute. After training in mathematics at the University of Edinburgh, his first architectural works were a series of highly geometric churches exhibited to the Royal Scottish Academy. By the early 1860s he had begun to build some churches, predominantly in Venetian or Roamesque styles. His interest in the monumental and in aspects of Romanesque detailing can also be seen in the residential work he completed during this period, both at Dean Park House and at Stoneyhill House in Peebleshire (see separate listing).
List description revised as part of resurvey (2009).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4); J G Bartholomew, Plan of Edinburgh and Leith, from Survey Atlas of Scotland, (1912); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 389; www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 5/1/2009); RCAHMS, CSE/1940/66/1, plan and section of house and stables, 1874-1906.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.