Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25238 74157
325238, 674157


Circa 1785; alterations by George Smith, 1852; Kinnear & Peddie, 1892. 3-storey basement and attic, 3-bay terraced former classical house with applied architraves and Jacobethan balcony at 1st floor. Cleaned Craigleith sandstone droved ashlar. At ground, polished ashlar pilaster architraves with consoles as capitals supporting balcony; broad doorway to right with panelled storm doors to terrazzo tiled lobby; windows with polished aprons. At 1st floor, balcony with panelled piers and pierced strapwork balustrade; windows with lugged, tabbed and keystoned architraves. 2nd floor windows with lugged architraves. 2 dormers, piend-roofed and slightly bowed to right, flat-roofed and set into roof to left.

Rear elevation extended through to lane as 2-bay stugged ashlar hall, with flanking garaging (see below).

Timber sash and case windows; 4-pane at ground, 6-pane at 1st floor, 12-pane at 2nd floor. Grey slates; ashlar coped mutual skews (lead covered); mutual dressed stone stacks reduced.

INTERIOR: largely rebuilt in massive plain 19th century manner. Glazed screen to Hall with panelled dado and massive return stair on axis; at 1st landing archway leads to rear addition containing huge trabeated room at ground with partly top-lit room (incorporating roof space) above. Joined at every level with No 21.

RAILINGS: late 19th century cast-iron railings, en suite with No 21.

GARAGING: rendered original 2-storey mews buildings converted to open garaging at ground flank 19th century hall.

Statement of Special Interest

Now joined with No 21 (see separate listing). A significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh?s New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain; Queen Street was built to take advantage of the northern views, and has survived remarkably unaltered to this day.



RCAHMS INVENTORY no 132. MacRae Her 38. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p319. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp79, 92.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22 QUEEN STREET WITH RAILINGS AND GARAGING TO LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2022 15:41